tom cat started spraying, help

Options
Hi, I have had my cat for 10 years. I had him neutered when I got him, however recently he has started spraying. I have seen him do it a few times outside but he has just done it in the house. I always thought that this behaviour stopped when they had been neutered. Also it seems strange that he has only just started doing it. Can anyone advise me why he might have started doing this?

Comments

• LoLo
    LoLo Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, we have had a new kitten since October last year.He has only started doing this since she has been allowed out. Could this have something to do with it?
  • LoLo
    Options
    Yes, she has only been allowed out since May after she was spayed. He has also been fighting with her since she has been going out too. He was fine with her while she had to stay in the house.
  • Bun
    Bun Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    Some cats can spray once neutered - ours would when stressed and to deter intruders
    Annabeth Charlotte arrived on 7th February 2008, 2.5 weeks early :D
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Yes a cat will spray - female too, if stressed. I would recommend the Feliway also Bach rescue remedy might be worth a try - some people swear by it I didn't notice a difference, but I am a bit of a sceptic! But Feliway is good.
  • LoLo
    Options
    whats feliway?
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    My dearly departed old boy Thomas ,started spraying and I detered him after a couple of weeks using Feliway,it did'nt totally stop him though till we found the reason why he was doing it.Thomas was a very grumpy but lovable old cat,the feline equivalent to Victor Meldrew.He had never sprayed in his life before.We realised after a few weeks why he was spraying and it stopped immediatly.We had moved to a new house, the kitchen was very modern so we had stainless steel appliances and things like pedal bins ect.One day while I was cleaning I noticed him sitting his eyes flashing between the cat flap,pedal bin and biscuit barrel,I realised he could see himself in all of them.Now although I loved him he was'nt very bright and it didn't affect my other cat George.Thomas obviously thought it was a rather stubborn intruder.We covered th pedal bin ect with cloths for a couple of weeks used the Feliway and he seemed to calm down and be quite happy and forgot about it all and got on with his favourite pasttime again,eating.
  • blossomsuz
    blossomsuz Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    it seems to be that your old boy is feeling a little dominated by little kitty. All animals that live together establish a hierarchy and now that kitty is going out it has blurred the rules a little. As has been previously mentioned try feliway in the places he is spraying a lot. Also make sure you clean all the way to the floorboards with white spirit where he is doing it as otherwise he will go back to the same place again and again.
    Hopefully once he gets used to her going out and they again establish who is dominant things will go back to normal.
    Wins: Holiday to Thailand May 2014
    Mini Cruise Amsterdam and Antwerp June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family