In Credit on a Credit Card

Options
Hi folks - newbie here so sorry if this topic has already been covered.

I appear to be a touch over £100 in credit on my Nationwide card. Rather than just "spend to redress the balance" is there anyway that I can get the money back? In the past, cards have appeared reluctant to refund money!

The obvious thing would be to withdraw the cash from an ATM, but would this have any knock-on effect?

Many thanks!

Comments

• nidO
    nidO Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Each card provider's policies will undoubtedly differ and I have no idea what Nationwide's specifically are, but in general withdrawing cash from an ATM will still hit you for cash advance charges, if you want your money physically refunded rather than just spending the balance your best bet would probably be to contact Nationwide, who may or may not send you a cheque for the credit balance.
  • 1DayAAT
    1DayAAT Posts: 226 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yeah - don't pull it out as cash, as even though it's technically your money in credit, they don't play it that way ;)

My bank (natwest) lets me transfer it via the online banking system (credit card to current account) for no cost, but in the early days I had to go in to branch and ask, and they made the transfer (a bit reluctantly). this might be smoother sailing as both my current and credit account are with natwest.

You may have to explore the 2 above options but given it's quite a low amount, you might be better just leaving it and spending on there for essentials.

The only reason I have had to do this so often is when I was gambling online and using a credit card, the winnings had to go back to the same card used even if it was a credit card, often leaving me thousands in credit which I had to move over.
    Debt Free 08/08/2014 :beer:
    ]
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the same as most things, typically they will refund it back to the source which caused the over payment. So if you pay by DD each month it'd just go back to that account. If you made an additional extra payment after the DD by debit card it would go back to the DC etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure