Do the DWP have access to my medical records?

Options
GenghisKhan86
GenghisKhan86 Posts: 37 Forumite
edited 2 January 2014 at 4:01PM in Benefits & tax credits
Ok I've recently been transferred from long term incapacity benefit to ESA (Work Related Activity Group). Now I have no problems with the DWP being able to access my medical records with regards to the specific illnesses that I am claiming for but I concerned that the DWP will have all my medical history on file. I Know a number of people indirectly who work for the DWP/jobseekers and I definitely wouldn't want them having access to this information...so am I worrying unnecessarily?

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No they don't. They can write to your doctor for specific information regarding an illness/disability you are making a claim for, but don't get access to your medical history. So stop worrying & relax.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    No they don't. They can write to your doctor for specific information regarding an illness/disability you are making a claim for, but don't get access to your medical history. So stop worrying & relax.

In addition, your average DWP employee has no access to random files, even if this was a concern.
    Only decisionmakers who are making a decision on the file.

People employed in other capacities who are asked to do something with the client - for example - work focussed interviews - will have extremely limited information. They do not have access to the medical records.
  • GenghisKhan86
    Options
    That's brilliant. Thanks guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills