Diary of a not-so-perfect housewife

So it is New Year's Eve and whilst most people will be partying with a drink or two I have opted to stay at home. I've been wanting to start a diary for a while and think now is the perfect time.

So, a bit about me well I'm 30, married with 2 young children. Ds just turned 3 and dd is 1. The kids are my life and I'm very lucky that I am able to be a stay at home mum. After having ds I was going to go back to work due to the drop in money but after trying and failing even to get an interview for anywhere we had no choice but to tighten the spending and get on with it.

We are now in a situation where my husband is earning more money and we did pretty well at paying debts off to start with and also was able to save for a small car which my husband needed to get to work. But there are still some old debts to get rid of and I would really like them gone by the end of 2014.

I think we owe about £7000. :( I will check this tomorrow and get an accurate figure. These are made up of 2 debts that my husband has had for quite a few years and have been passed to debt collectors and are now with a company called Robinson Way. I am hoping if we save as much as we can we will be able to make offers.

As well as sorting out our finances I'm going to use this diary to help me keep on track of household chores as well. Since Christmas the house has become a clutter zone, it also looks like we have a toy shop in the lounge!

Anyway, there is so much more I could say but will not ramble on in my first post.

Hope, you're all having a great new year how ever you are spending it :beer:

Comments

• Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Welcome to diary land! You'll find plenty of ideas and support on the thread. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Happy New Year!
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• turninggrey
    turninggrey Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2013 at 10:28PM
    So here are a few things I need to get done tonight:

- [STRIKE]fill in form[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]sell old phone[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]sort coupons[/STRIKE] (really need to get back into this, saved me loads of money plus I love it! I know I'm a geek :rotfl:)
    - change bedding

I WILL get this list done tonight, hmm the only thing stopping me at the minute is wine and Indiana jones. Better get the form filled in now before I have anymore wine:D

Hubby has gone to a family party for a few hours, I was really not in the mood for going and it just wasn't worth dragging the kids out for a few hours. Ds was falling a sleep having tea, bless him. So, at least the hubby can't distract me from my list. Right, where's my pen........

Update - most of the list is done, bedding will be done when I go up. Managed to get £3 for my old broken blackberry, every little helps :T. Ooh I forget to say I made some gift tags out of the old Christmas cards today. I will put these away for next crimbo so will save me a few pennies.
  • Piquant wrote: »
    Welcome to diary land! You'll find plenty of ideas and support on the thread. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Happy New Year!

Thanks Piquant :hello: wow just read your signature, that's amazing well done!!
  • HI

My situation is similar to yours although my children are older and I got rid of the husband a few years ago!

Hope the new year brings good things for you, I'm home alone this evening, so along with clearing the debt asap I also need to get my social life back on track!

Happy New Year and Good Luck
  • Choc-addict
    Choc-addict Posts: 1,894 Forumite
    Wishing you lots of luck on your journey in 2014!

Choc x
  • Thanks Millie and choc addict. Good luck with your social life Millie, I would love a social life but don't think I'll get one until the kids are older. Unfortunately we don't live near my family and Dh family aren't great when it comes to babysitting (well that's putting it nicely), so getting out in the evening is near on impossible.

Well today has been one busy day. Dh had the day off so we bit the bullet and took the Christmas decs down, he was totally depressed by this but I on the other hand was ecstatic! Christmas was lovely but I can't wait to be back to normal.

So, I had a NSD go me :T I'm going to keep track of these through out the month and see how many I can get.

Also, changed all bedding, hoovered whole house whilst being stalked by 2 little monsters :) dd is so clingy at the moment, must be more pickle stabbers on the way.

Finished the day off with a roast dinner round the in-laws and now I'm about ready to collapse.

I still need to get total amounts for debts which will be on my to do list for tomorrow (will update that in a mo).
  • turninggrey
    turninggrey Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2014 at 7:45PM
    Tomorrow's to do list

- [STRIKE]hand form in[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]get free book from wh smith with O2 moments[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]buy milk and bed[/STRIKE] (and nothing else!)
    - clean bathroom and downstairs toilet
    - [STRIKE]tackle the mountain of washing[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]get debt totals[/STRIKE]
  • Emmala
    Emmala Posts: 428
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Good luck on your journey!!!! And let me just say, make the most of your time as a SAHM, I did it for nine years until my DH was made redundant suddenly in September, and they were the best years of my life!!!! so far, at least!!!!!!

We owe a similar amount to you. I'll follow your progress with interest,

Happy New Year to you,
    Molly x
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    A NSD day for the first day of the year is good. Do you have a monthly target of NSDs in mind?
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Good luck on your journey!!!! And let me just say, make the most of your time as a SAHM, I did it for nine years until my DH was made redundant suddenly in September, and they were the best years of my life!!!! so far, at least!!!!!!

We owe a similar amount to you. I'll follow your progress with interest,

Happy New Year to you,
    Molly x

Thanks Molly. I love being a SAHM, and will definitely make the most of it. It's funny I can't really remember life without the kids now, what on earth did I do with all that time!

Happy new year xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport