Windows 7

Wig
Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
edited 31 December 2013 at 7:32PM in Techie Stuff
Hi,

When I was on Win XP and I had several programs open at once, you have the tabs on the taskbar, 1 tab for each program. So if you wanted Internet explorer you clicked on the internet explorer tab and it prioritised that window on the desktop. If you wanted that Word Document that you were working on you would click on that word tab and it was prioritsed. One annoying thing was that you could not rearrange the order of the tabs by dragging and dropping them on the taskbar.

In Windows 7 It is the same thing you have tabs on the taskbar for your multiple programs that you have open, one improvement is that you can now drag and drop them into the order you want them in. However, a big failure is that the programs are now grouped into the tabs.

If you have 7 programs open in XP you got 7 tabs and it was quick to go to the tab you wanted.

Now in Windows 7 the 7 programs are grouped into maybe 3 tabs

1st tab will have 3 programs in
2nd tab will have 2 programs in
3rd tab will have 2 programs in

So all the XL based programs will be under a single tab, all the explorer based programs under a single tab and so on.

To get to the program you want in Win 7 you have to either hover over the tab or click the tab & wait for the drop out menu to appear and then select from that menu which one of the 3 programs you want.

Now to the point... In my job speed is very important, now I have to remember under which tab the program I want is and then click it open and then click on the program. This is annoying because there is no indication which tab to look in and then there is the time delay this all causes to get to my programs.

Question.
Can I tell Windows 7 that I don't want it to display the programs grouped together into single tabs. I want the 7 programs to be displayed in 7 individual tabs so I can click on them quickly?

Comments

• Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Right click on taskbar
    Properties
    Taskbar buttons: Never Combine
  • Wig
    edited 31 December 2013 at 8:12PM
    Thank you very much, I will give it a go on Thursday. I only hope that my server/admin rights allows me to do this and having done it once it will stay that way...

Thanks
  • combining is unwelcome ,they did it because they know windows 7 (vista) needs more resources than XP did per instance of an app

do as the poster above said, that's sound advice, or if you want separate programs hold shift when you click the excel itself. this is useful if you work on more than one screen and/or want to see spreadsheets side by side.

finally use windows held down and tab as a quicker way to cycle through windows than the rubbishy hover method where as it's a little picture you can't see where you are going fast.
  • Wig
    edited 25 January 2014 at 10:13AM
    Back tothis,

It is a thin client network and we have not got admin rights to de-combine the taskbar. We do have access to "desktop properties" so why not "taskbar properties"...?

So my questions for you are:
    Would it be possible to allow everyone to have admin rights to the taskbar on a thin client?
    Could they set it at the server end to be de-combined for everyone?

I will try the shift key method...so I press and hold shift while I double click on the program icon ? I don't like holding shift because it enables filter keys and on the old XP that used to screw up my PC needing a reboot.

And also do you know where to find the virtual keyboard in Windows 7 ? We used that on the XP platform to do a print screen picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure