Replacing gas oven with electric - difficulty?

Hello,

My gas cooker (built in under the worktop) has now got two faults and so it is probably cheaper to replace it. It is quite old and is a low quality model so it's no loss.

How easy is it to replace a gas oven with electric (retaining a gas hob)?

I can't see the wiring but there is a 32 Amp fuse in the fusebox dedicated to the cooker for it's electric supply (this is wired in and turns the oven on and off). There isn't a switch on the wall of the kitchen though.

We will not be staying in this house much longer so am looking for a cheap replacement. Gas cookers seem to be several hundred more.

Thanks in advance...!

Comments

• Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you ever cooked on a electric hob. Some of the induction hob jobs can be allright but gas still the best. It sounds like someone in the past had a electric hob in, which in theory should be ok but you need to check with a proper sparky . If your not going be in there long just buy q cheap gas cooker As you don't know if your next property will be gas or electric.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    And an electric oven will cost about 300% more to run than gas...
    What will the existing faults cost to fix? Replacing a built in oven is a lot more hassle.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OP is the built under oven a single or double oven? Ie do you have a 'main oven' and a'small oven ' (also used as a grill) or just one single oven that also doubles as a grill?

To change the gas oven you will need a gas safe registered engineer to do this. If you remove the gas oven to replace it with an electric oven, you will still need a gas safe engineer to remove the gas oven and cap it's gas supply off.

A built in gas oven is a lot more expensive than a built in electric oven.

If your oven is a single oven, an electric one can be had for around £120.00. A single built-in gas oven will cost 3 times that.

A single electric oven is normally under 3kw so doesn't require a dedicated circuit and can be plugged in via a 13amp plug.

A double oven will require dedicated 32amp circuit which you have.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,566
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2013 at 2:54PM
    A single electric oven is normally under 3kw so doesn't require a dedicated circuit and can be plugged in via a 13amp plug.

I fully agree with the above.

I was swapping from a gas oven and went to all the trouble of getting a spark to rewire the kitchen with a separate/dedicated cooker socket and switch.
    The single oven arrived and it had a 13A plug on it!!

I have found that the 'cheap' electric fan oven i now have cooks 'better' than my previous gas one and is hot on every shelf. That is, of course, my opinion and not scientific fact.

I kept the gas hob.

Even though the oven might be rated at 13a there is nothing to stop it being connected to the dedicated 32a circuit if its easier although physically there may not be a standard 3 pin socket at the moment.
    If you have access to a 13a socket under the counter within easy reach of the cooker space then you should be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure