Halifax Reward Current Account

I opened 3 of these back when they were first introduced and have been receiving the £15 per month (3x5) for a long time now, but I had my accounts downgraded to standard current accounts recently. I fulfil the criteria as I pay in the required amount and have 2 DD's from each account. I called and got one upgraded, but was told it's only 1 per customer now. Anybody else encounter this?

If this has ended then it's okay as i've received a lot of free cash, but obviously it'd be nice if I could have 3 accounts again.

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    To be honest, I thought it was always the case that it was only one reward account per customer.

I tried to upgrade my other Halifax current account years ago, but was told that I couldn't, as it was one per customer.

I think you may have been lucky to have three reward accounts going at one time!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you done anything to draw attention to yourself?...

Made a branch visit perhaps, where an over-zealous advisor has taken issue?

Exceeded your overdraft/used an unauthorised overdraft?

I remember some months ago seeing a report or two on here about the same thing, but nothing recently.

Like you, I have several accounts (4, but one of them is my main bills account). Also like you, I'm quite relaxed about them catching up with me and closing 3 of them. The £1K+ I've already had was most welcome!
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It used to be easy to get multiples and some people still have theirs intact. However, it seems they are now gradually enforcing their T&Cs, which say you can only have 1 sole and 1 joint Reward account.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,350
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 December 2013 at 9:44PM
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    It used to be easy to get multiples and some people still have theirs intact. However, it seems they are now gradually enforcing their T&Cs, which say you can only have 1 sole and 1 joint Reward account.
    Is that now a term and condition 'of' the Reward Account, or is it just a term of acceptance (i.e. for 'new' customers only?) I assume it's the former if we are still having this discussion - but (of course) these weren't the conditions when I opened my three.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/pdf/reward-current-account-guide.pdf
    [Page 18]
    Halifax Reward Current Account

Special conditions:

(a) Available to people aged 18 or over who must be resident in the UK.
    (b) Up to two account holders on an “either to sign” basis only.
    You can hold one Reward Current Account in your sole name and one in joint names.

Language is ambiguous.

(Anything heftier than that?)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,843
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    1 per partner, and joint sorted
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Forumite
    Milarky wrote: »
    Is that now a term and condition 'of' the Reward Account, or is it just a term of acceptance (i.e. for 'new' customers only?) I assume it's the former if we are still having this discussion - but (of course) these weren't the conditions when I opened my three.
    I think it was included in the notice of variation(s) sent out earlier this year, so your assumption would be correct.

However, and despite the odd random poster saying they'd had excess accounts downgraded (hence my question of the OP above), it seems they're not rigorously enforcing the condition like Nationwide have done with the FlexDirect "one sole each" condition.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Blimey, perhaps I need to kick off that I was NEVER allowed to hold more than one Reward account !:rotfl:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • YorkshireBoy
    Forumite
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Blimey, perhaps I need to kick off that I was NEVER allowed to hold more than one Reward account !:rotfl:
    The early bird always catches the worm...and the worm was available to catch from February to October 2009. :D
  • Thanks for the replies all. I haven't done anything to draw attention to myself as I didn't have any interaction with Halifax until after my accounts had been downgraded. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure