Help!! Do child "savings" affect JSA?

Options
Hi All, My husband has just been made redundant (as from 31st December) after working for 15 years for the same company.

A while back his parents asked if they could purchase premium bonds in their names as they had reached the maximum in their own names. Each child now has £10,000 invested in their names in premium bonds, even though they receive none of the benefits/wins. Does anyone know how will this affect any jobseekers allowance my husband may be entitled to and should we close the accounts as soon as possible.....

Comments

• bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    Is your husbands/your names tee on the accounts?
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • Jobseeeker
    Options
    Dijor wrote: »

A while back his parents asked if they could purchase premium bonds in their names as they had reached the maximum in their own names. Each child now has £10,000 invested in their names in premium bonds, even though they receive none of the benefits/wins. .....

Did they purchase them in your husband's name or your children's names?
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if it will affect JSA but will certainly affect any means tested benefits you might be entitled to due to your husband being out of work.

You're in a sticky situation really, as if you close the accounts, you could be asked where the money is if it were to show up on data matching systems DWP use. And saying the money actually belonged to a relative is an age old story they often hear from people who have kept quiet about their true assets.

However, it probably would be wise to have nothing but their own money or yours in your childrens names as you just never know when it will throw up an unexpected problem for you.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,629 Forumite
    Options
    How exactly are these bonds held?
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2013 at 12:34AM
    Options
    Hi All, My husband has just been made redundant (as from 31st December) after working for 15 years for the same company.

A while back his parents asked if they could purchase premium bonds in their names as they had reached the maximum in their own names. Each child now has £10,000 invested in their names in premium bonds, even though they receive none of the benefits/wins. Does anyone know how will this affect any jobseekers allowance my husband may be entitled to and should we close the accounts as soon as possible.....

Why don't they get any benefits and wins - how do you manage to keep these from them?
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 December 2013 at 12:52AM
    Options

Dunroamin wrote: »
    Why don't they get any benefits and wins - how do you manage to keep these from them?

I read it as the grandparents still owning the bonds but using the children's names/identities to increase the amount they (the grandparents) have, over and above the amount actually allowed per person.

If that is the case (I hope I've misunderstood), then it is a very sticky situation indeed!
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I am aware, so long as you can prove the money was deposited by grandparents, it won't affect you.

I hope the grandparents didn't do it so they could hide capital and claim means tested benefits though, as one of you is going to come unstuck!
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, so long as you can prove the money was deposited by grandparents, it won't affect you.

It won't matter who made the deposit, if any child has over £3k in a savings or similar account, it is taken into consideration & counts towards any parents savings limit if they claim a means tested benefit.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grandparents can buy the bonds but have to nominate one of the child’s parents or guardians to look after the Bonds until the child is 16. Any prizes will be paid to the parent or guardian. And only the parent or guardian will be able to cash in the Bonds.

http://www.nsandi.com/savings-premium-bonds?tabid=c#buyingforchild
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,127 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I read the OP as child of the parents ie the husband's name has been used to put the grandparents excess premium bond stash.

Happy to be corrected, OP needs to clarify.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure