Getting a new bank acount with an IVA

Hi Everyone, could really do with some advice.

I have a joint bank account with my ex parther and as weve split up i want a separate bank account but as I have an IVA and already have an account Icant find a bank that will accept me.
My ex partner has tried himself to join several other banks so he can come off the joint account but they have said that as he already has a bank account they are under no obligation to give him his own, but I dont think its fair that we are being made to stay in a joint account when we have split up, and as I have money that gets paid into that account I cannot get myself took off the account until I have another one set up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you asked the bank you have the joint account with whether they can give you a sole account so you can come off the joint one?
  • sbanc85
    sbanc85 Posts: 13 Forumite
    yeah, we asked them and the manager looked into it but came back and said she was under no obligation to give me one. Weve asked Yorkshire bank who said basically the same thing. I already have an account with lloyds but I got a loan from them and that loan has gone into the IVA so I can no longer use them and Halifax cant give me one as they are connected to Lloyds. Only one left I can think of is HSBC but Im not holding out much hope. I know the post office are starting to do current accounts but I spoke to them on the phone and they told me they arent doing them in my region yet but hope to go nationwide next year.
  • Archi_Bald
    Forumite
    What sort of money does get paid into the account for you? If it is benefits, you could consider a Post Office card account http://www.postoffice.co.uk/post-office-card-account?intcampaignid=MnfinancePOCA

If it's other money, consider a savings account with Internet access - may be again with the bank you are already with.
  • Archi_Bald
    Forumite
    I trust you have exhausted all the basic bank account offers already? Because a basic account is all you can hope to get when on an IVA.

You could try http://www.securetrustbank.com/current-account/if-you-are-in-an-iva-you-can-open-our-account

Though it will cost you.
  • sbanc85
    sbanc85 Posts: 13 Forumite
    I was considering the post office one but I was told I wouldnt be able to pay direct debits. Im currently living with my mam but in the new year i will be looking into getting my own place so i will need an account where i can pay direct debits
  • Is the joint account in credit or overdrawn?
  • myth123
    myth123 Posts: 383
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Barclays basic account allows undischarged bankrupts so it may follow a similar stance for people in an active IVA.
  • myth123 wrote: »
    Barclays basic account allows undischarged bankrupts so it may follow a similar stance for people in an active IVA.

Undischarged bankrupts are not allowed a current account without their trustee in bankruptcy 's approval.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure