Help with benefits - newly unemployed

Options
Hi there, hope someone can help. I have recently become unemployed after working for the civil service for the last 11 years, and I am completely stumped as to what to do or expect next.

I have applied online for JSA and have an interview on Tuesday. I am married, but havent made a joint claim for JSA. My hubby is ill and does not work and successfully claims ESA in the Support Group and DLA.

The invite to the interview is saying that both of us have to go to complete the claim. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Further to this, I am thinking of starting up my own business and working from home. I am the main carer for my hubby, and never claimed Carers allowance before as I was working. Do you think that claiming this instead and then being self employed would be better for me in the long run?

Sorry for all the questions, I am really new to this scenario and quite scared about life in the immediate future. If someone could help me, I would appreciate it. TIA. :)
You're so very special, I wish I was special :dance:

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, don't know the answer to all your questions, but didn't want to just read & run. I think you'll find that you could only claim carer's allowance if your earnings were under £100 per week, so this could help you decide one way or another.

Carer's allowance does open the door to other entitlements, which you won't get with JSA & am sure somebody with better knowledge will come along & explain them to you. You will of course have your National Insurance credits as a carer.

And with carer's allowance compared to JSA, you won't have to jump through hoops to show that you are actively seeking work. Even if you do wish to return to work at some point, you can at least do all the applying, interviews etc. under your own steam.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • mummyroysof3
    Options
    Claiming carers will be a bit less a week than jsa but would be less hassle and if you tell them you looking to start a business and not Actively looking for a job you won't get it anyway. Go on Tuesday anyway as they will advice the best financial way to do it
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Carers allowance will count as income for benefits.

If hubby's claim is income based, you could make a joint ESA claim.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family