Accomodation for commonwelath games Glasgow

I've been monitoring this board lately, but apart from a thread a while ago regarding the topic, Information and opinions have been somewhat scarce, so I thought I would start a topic to collect other peoples feedback.

Two of us have got evening tickets on the 1st and 2nd of august and will be travelling by train from the North of England to Edinburgh Waverley. The only accommodation left in Glasgow seems to be way over priced. I doubt more rooms will come available, will they?

I've looked at some places in Edinburgh which although over priced, are still a lot more reasonable. The questions I pose though, will extra trains be running, as I don't want to miss the end of the event on one or both of the days just because I need to get back to our base.

Before I do a more detailed search, does anyone have any other suggestions about places to stay.

Comments

• vfish
    vfish Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Within the normal restrictions (they can't magic up new trains - they have a finite amount to spread over the network) - yes, they'll run extra trains. The bus service is good and Citylink can hire buses from other companies.

If you're really just coming for the games you might want to just choose somewhere on one of the Glasgow to Edinburgh lines to stay - Bathgate, Falkirk, Shotts... - these places traditionally are traveller stops (very central to the road network) and have hotels but (while each is lovely in its own way) they're not really holiday destinations but each one is easily accessible to Glasgow and Edinburgh by train (and bus).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure