Really £25 to have a single fence panel delivered from Wickes?

Options
I may have read their website wrong but I just need a single 6ft x 6ft fence panel delivered at their convenience but it seems its going to cost me £25 as its classed as big & bulky?
The checkout service states a standard delivery charge of £5.95 but I can only check out if I use the big & bulky delivery option?

Oddly enough I only live a couple of mile from their store assuming thats where its picked from?

Am I being penalised for not being a tradesman with a van?:(

Thanks as usual
:j

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    Options
    ferry wrote: »
    I may have read their website wrong but I just need a single 6ft x 6ft fence panel delivered at their convenience but it seems its going to cost me £25 as its classed as big & bulky?
    The checkout service states a standard delivery charge of £5.95 but I can only check out if I use the big & bulky delivery option?

Oddly enough I only live a couple of mile from their store assuming thats where its picked from?

Am I being penalised for not being a tradesman with a van?:(

Thanks as usual

Im guessing you cant collect the item yourself because the fence panel is "Big & Bulky"!

Your not being penalised, there just charging you what it costs to deliver a big and bulky item. Why not hire a van for an hour?
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Get one from somewhere else! Plenty of builders merchants offer free delivery. I've just had a look at b and q and they are only £5

Olias
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    There is a £25 delivery charge for all "big and bulky" orders below £300 in value, so whether you order 1 panel or 10 panels, the delivery charge is the same.
    They would probably use the same delivery vehicle irrespective of the number of panels, hence the delivery charge being the same, and with current health and safety regulations in the UK, they may well have to pay for 2 staff for the big and bulky deliveries.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 December 2013 at 4:09AM
    Options
    Yes.

They wanted to charge me £25 to deliver one 5 kg bag of plaster.

So I got two sent from TLC Direct by courier.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes.

So I got two sent from TLC by courier.

Apologies,what's TLC ?
    :j
  • societys_child
    Options
    Yes.

So I got two sent from TLC Direct by courier.
    ferry wrote: »
    Apologies,what's TLC ?

Click "TLC Direct" in post #5 (or the above quote) and all will be revealed . . .;)
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know when I recently ordered tiles from Wickes & queried the high delivery charge, I was told that the rate was charged in relation to the closest store/depot the actual item would be coming from.

In my case I was told there was not enough stock to supply me from that particular store, so it had to come from one a few miles away that held larger stocks.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure