Possible Bedroom Tax Exemption Loop Hole.

Options
There is a big thread about this on facebook.

http://mikesivier.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/a-word-of-caution-on-the-bedroom-tax-exemption-victory/

The people that seem to be in the know on that thread seem to think the burden of proof is with the council.

Interesting.

Comments

• brendon
    brendon Posts: 514 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2013 at 1:54PM
    Options
    That paragraph does nothing but exclude a conditional clause for HB eligibility. It does nothing to affect the amount of rent that is paid out. Also, don't forget that this act is from 2006, and has been updated many times (e.g. by the The Housing Benefit and Universal Credit (Size Criteria) (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2013) -- the act hasn't been updated to reflect these changes.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Also, don't forget that 1 man has already beaten his local Council & after taking legal advice, the Council decided not to contest the decision.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    If this exemption is real then we will no doubt get revised guidance to plug the loophole.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure this rubbish has been done on here before.
  • ArtoDeeto
    Options
    xsunnysuex wrote: »
    The people that seem to be in the know on that thread seem to think the burden of proof is with the council.
    Meanwhile your rent isn't paid and you get evicted. Fools gold...
  • xsunnysuex
    Options
    As I said in my opening post, there is a thread about it in a facebook group. One of the group members is stated to have had a £400 refund due to this regulation.
    I'm not going to dismiss it until I've fully checked it out.
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    If all these whinging idiots put as much effort into earning cash as they do moaning about having a cut in their free cash then they could all live in a mansion with a roller on the drive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure