LHA wrong amount paid

Options
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help my brother and sister in law, they have recently claimed part LHA until my SIL finds a job (BIL works full time) they received a payment (their 1st) on the 6th December which covered them until the 9th and then they were to be paid roughly £340 4 weekly however they received a payment today for £250 and don't understand why, I've never claimed so had no words of wisdom so to speak, could anyone shed any light on this? The local council office doesn't open until the 2nd January or they would've called to see why it's short. Thanks for any advice and Merry Christmas :)

Comments

• specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    Is it possible that £340 is the maximum LHA amount but they are only entitled £250 due to other income?
  • Because the payment covers 3 weeks instead of 4?
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • LonelyGirl
    Options
    Because the payment covers 3 weeks instead of 4?

That's what I suggested to them however they can't see it being right when the letter states every 4 weeks they will receive X amount. Do they sometimes pay 3 weekly?
  • LonelyGirl
    Options
    specialboy wrote: »
    Is it possible that £340 is the maximum LHA amount but they are only entitled £250 due to other income?

No the £340 is the figure they are entitled to, they brought the letter with them for me to look over. I'm stumped!
  • Housing Benefit is paid in arrears and the first payment might be a part payment.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • LonelyGirl
    Options
    Housing Benefit is paid in arrears and the first payment might be a part payment.

Thanks, they'd already received their first payment before this though, it's all very confusing.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It could be something to do with their payment cycles, which can be mystifying, as they sometimes change them at will.

But, a quick phone call tomorrow morning should clarify what's going on.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure