Help with reclaim JSA

Options
Registered for JSA in September 2013,got Income Based JSA for 2 months, found job, worked for 1 month,had to leave work to look after mum abroad, am now back but will need to go back in January 2013 and stay abroad until end February 2014. Should I claim now or wait until I get back ? and will I be suspended for 13 weeks + or should I register and if suspended then period I am away will be counted as suspended ? - please help

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    You may not be sanctioned at all - leaving work to care for a relative if there is no alternative may be considered acceptable.

Claiming now will mean that the sanction (if any) is imposed, the sanction will continue to effectively run when you are 'signed off' due to being out of the country.

There is however, another possible problem, though hopefully your case would fit the exceptions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/268669/m-28-13.pdf

After Jan 14, as I understand it, there is a requirement - except for exempt people to 'live in' the UK for 3 months for a JSA claim to be further evaluated. (I cannot despite chasing down https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/267706/dmgch0703.pdf immediately say if a UK citizen who has been abroad in the last three months for more than a trivial period can claim JSA,)

If your trip is due to an essential family emergency - this may not apply.
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    You may not be sanctioned at all - leaving work to care for a relative if there is no alternative may be considered acceptable.

Claiming now will mean that the sanction (if any) is imposed, the sanction will continue to effectively run when you are 'signed off' due to being out of the country.

There is however, another possible problem, though hopefully your case would fit the exceptions.

After Jan 14, as I understand it, there is a requirement - except for exempt people to 'live in' the UK for 3 months for a JSA claim to be further evaluated. (I cannot despite chasing down immediately say if a UK citizen who has been abroad in the last three months for more than a trivial period can claim JSA,)

If your trip is due to an essential family emergency - this may not apply.
    Nice to see the government has excluded the whole British population at a stroke from claiming emergency benefits, in dealing with a perceived paranoid threat from an EU invasion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure