House doesn't have a TV socket - what options do I have?

Options
Hi all,

We have moved into a new home. I have a HD TV but the house doesn't have a TV socket.

I have a little aerial but the connection is really choppy and I am hardly getting any freeview channels.

Is the best option to get a TV aerial fitted on the roof? Or are there new ways of getting a good TV reception inside the house?

I am not keen on getting cable TV as I am happy with freeview.

Any info would be appreciated :beer:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    LiveOnce wrote: »
    Is the best option to get a TV aerial fitted on the roof?
    Yes, this is still the cheapest and easiest way of getting a stable quality TV picture.
    You could also consider Freesat which requires a dish mounted on your home.

All the other options usually involve some kind of subscription...
  • LiveOnce
    Options
    Thanks Money,

How do I get about getting a TV aerial fitted? Do I buy it and ask a handyman to fit it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could buy a Loft Aerial and fit it yourself, if you want a roof aerial installed, your better off looking for your local TV aerial installer and buy one with installation rather than separately.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    LiveOnce wrote: »
    Thanks Money,

How do I get about getting a TV aerial fitted? Do I buy it and ask a handyman to fit it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
    just look for a CAI (Confederation Of Aerial Installers) approved fitter
    http://www.cai.org.uk/members/member-search

They should both supply and fit to your specification.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you go the Freesat route, you will require a Freesat digibox or PVR as well as a dish. Have you checked on the roof that an aerial isn't installed but the cabling is not in place?
    A loft aerial may or may not give adequate reception.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • LiveOnce
    LiveOnce Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    If you go the Freesat route, you will require a Freesat digibox or PVR as well as a dish. Have you checked on the roof that an aerial isn't installed but the cabling is not in place?
    A loft aerial may or may not give adequate reception.

Hi macman,

The roof does not have an aerial installed. I want the most reliable connection possible.

What would be the best option?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are taking the aerial option, do ask for a number of quotations, as I found a large price difference, when replacing our older one .

Some, unscrupulous installers still try to sell special digital aerials. They don't exist; you just good, well fitted aerial.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pick up one of those free, local, advertising papers - or one of the weekly local papers. At the back, in the classifieds, look for adverts about aerials .... phone them and get a quote. Could be under £100 to get an aerial, fitted and an indoor socket, fitted.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A loft ariel is much easier to fit DIY and good enough usually.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    A loft ariel is much easier to fit DIY and good enough usually.
    You mean good enough sometimes? In many cases a loft aerial will not provide good reception at all. There is no doubt that a roof aerial will provide the best quality TV pictures, especially if HD is a requirement.

The Op should by all means get several quotes to get the best deal-but needs to be sure they are each offering the same level of service. The cheapest isn't always the best (or the worst)

The link I provided earlier is not Spam and anyone considering having someone clamber about on their roof to fit an aerial should use a CAI accredited installer. If you do, you won't have to worry about them being "unscrupulous" and providing an aerial you might not need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure