🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Buying a bike on 0% alternative?

Options
Hi, I'm not sure if this is on the correct board, if it's not then I apologise.

I'm wanting to buy a new bike which will cost £1595 from a dealer(Giant Composite 1).

The dealer offers a 15% discount to NHS workers, of which I am one, so brings the price down to £1355, a significant saving!

As I'll be buying with 0% finance this discount can't be applied as it's an either or situation.

So, is there a way of buying this bike with some sort of 0% credit card, and paying it off with monthly payments before the rate finishes?

Thank you

Elfed

Comments

• Porcupine
    Options
    Don't see why not. Try the top 0% cards guide for some ideas. As always they're subject to credit checks.

Beware that things are likely to be complicated if it's a Cycle To Work scheme rather than a plain discount because it's then effectively being bought by your employer not you.
  • elfed68
    Options
    Thanks for that.

It's not a Cycle to Work scheme, just a direct purchase. I've done the Cycle to Work and although it sounds good you don't really own the bike for a few years.

I'll check out your link, thanks
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is, but this depends on you getting a credit card with 0%, so depends on your credit profile. That's a hefty discount so assuming it's not on an inflated price then it's worth getting with some fiddling around.

The dealer might charge you for a card anyway, maybe2-3%, so a personal loan from your bank might work if you can get a good rate as well, loans are available from a little over 5% apr so might be worth comsidering.

First up what's your credit history like, have you got a credit card, have you had loans, have you got a mobile contracts etc, do you have any defaults or problems, knowing this will help on deciding what might be good options.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    ...loans are available from a little over 5% apr so might be worth comsidering.
    Those rates are generally reserved for >£7.5K loans though aren't they?

I'd imagine circa £1.3K would command a much higher rate?...10-12%+

I'd say a credit card might be a better bet, possibly one from the OPs bank. But if the dealer agrees to waive the 2-3% credit card fee, then it follows there was an additional 2-3% discount to be had on the bike if paying with cash/debit card!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Options
    Those rates are generally reserved for >£7.5K loans though aren't they?

I'd imagine circa £1.3K would command a much higher rate?...10-12%+

I'd say a credit card might be a better bet, possibly one from the OPs bank. But if the dealer agrees to waive the 2-3% credit card fee, then it follows there was an additional 2-3% discount to be had on the bike if paying with cash/debit card!

Fair points but the OP hasn't got the cash so apparently a bit of a catch 22 on that point I'd have thought.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    ...the OP hasn't got the cash so apparently a bit of a catch 22 on that point I'd have thought.
    It is, but for me personally it would make me think about saving up for such a purchase.

Not that I'm trying to influence the OP. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport