Wedding gift etiquette

Options
Hi everyone.

I've been invited to a wedding (for the first time ever!) and I need some advice for the wedding list.

There's a list of about 60 or so things, ranging in price from <£5 to £300.

We will be looking to spend around the £50 mark. Do we buy multiple smaller things, or one larger thing?

Are the smaller things intended for those who cannot afford something bigger (they have many students attending) or are they in order for people to get multiples?

Thank you!

Comments

• Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would buy one gift for my budget. I would leave the smaller gifts for people who can't afford the larger gift. If everyone bought multiple little ones soon the only gifts left would be the large ones which would be out of lots of people's budget.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • Toto wrote: »
    I would buy one gift for my budget. I would leave the smaller gifts for people who can't afford the larger gift. If everyone bought multiple little ones soon the only gifts left would be the large ones which would be out of lots of people's budget.

Thank you! Makes perfect sense. There's not too many middle of the range things, so I hope we can get in there quick!
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I too would buy one present for the value of what I wanted to spend. You could always mark it off the list now (before buying) if you know that is what you are getting - you might even get it in the January Sales too.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    The smaller items are defintely for people who can't afford much. Far better, if you can afford a generous £50 that you buy one item of that value.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • 74jax wrote: »
    I too would buy one present for the value of what I wanted to spend. You could always mark it off the list now (before buying) if you know that is what you are getting - you might even get it in the January Sales too.

Fabulous idea!
    The smaller items are defintely for people who can't afford much. Far better, if you can afford a generous £50 that you buy one item of that value.

I was under the impression (wrong?) that was a standard gift size? I'm a complete novice and ignorant of all things wedding! There's no china/kettle/toaster on the list which I thought was odd, maybe I've been watching too many Hollywood films :rotfl:
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember, just because there's a list it doesn't mean you have to buy off it, they're just suggestions and you're allowed to choose yourself too!

There's no 'standard' gift budget, you give what you can afford and what you think is appropriate.
  • monty-doggy
    Options
    If all the gifts at that price range are gone you could always give the the money or a voucher so they could put it towards one of the £300 items if no one buys it
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had several guests who banded together and bought a bigger gift. That was lovely because I got some of the big things too.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was under the impression (wrong?) that was a standard gift size? I'm a complete novice and ignorant of all things wedding! There's no china/kettle/toaster on the list which I thought was odd, maybe I've been watching too many Hollywood films :rotfl:

There's no 'standard' now, it's very much what people can afford.

At our's we stressed no gifts at all and some people really couldn't get their heads round it so made a donation to charity in our name which was lovely, but to them 'standard' was giving something (if you know what I mean).

I think £50 is very generous and would be delighted if a guest thought of me so much to spend that one a gift to me. I am sure they will love whatever you decide to buy.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Person_one wrote: »
    Remember, just because there's a list it doesn't mean you have to buy off it, they're just suggestions and you're allowed to choose yourself too!

There's no 'standard' gift budget, you give what you can afford and what you think is appropriate.

Thank you. I rather get them something special as almost everything on their lists is the sort of thing you'd have anyway if you lived together. I'd like to get them something that they can say, "ooh, that's my wedding *insert whatever". However, I do want to get them something they actually want, so I will find the most appropriate thing from the list!
    If all the gifts at that price range are gone you could always give the the money or a voucher so they could put it towards one of the £300 items if no one buys it

Very true. My mum said this is what she and dad did as it was seen as a bit rude to ask for large items (this was 20+ years ago!)
    Seanymph wrote: »
    I had several guests who banded together and bought a bigger gift. That was lovely because I got some of the big things too.

Or this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport