NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Buying a car from overseas on credit card for protection?

Ive been looking for a used car for a while and came across the ideal car. When contacting the seller he explained he moved to Norway from the UK and needs to sell the car.

Imediatly I thought this was a scam. He sent me many pictures of the car including the experian car check report with the chassis number on etc.

My question is if this was a genuine sale and after doing my research decided to make an offer, would I be able to buy this with a credit card and be covered with the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

Many thanks

Replies

  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Ambassador
    69.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    scfc_151 wrote: »
    Ive been looking for a used car for a while and came across the ideal car. When contacting the seller he explained he moved to Norway from the UK and needs to sell the car.

    Imediatly I thought this was a scam. He sent me many pictures of the car including the experian car check report with the chassis number on etc.

    My question is if this was a genuine sale and after doing my research decided to make an offer, would I be able to buy this with a credit card and be covered with the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

    Many thanks

    There is a classic scam with the owner of a car being overseas, you will almost certainly be asked to pay via a fake escrow service.
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    There is a classic scam with the owner of a car being overseas, you will almost certainly be asked to pay via a fake escrow service.

    If asked to pay via ESCROW, walk away.

    There are legitimate circumstances of cars being sold on foreign plates (I've dealt with this several times in UK, mainly due to office staff wanting RHD car, and also for re-import), but this has always been cash on collection, for the reason that it is genuine.

    CK
    💙💛 💔

    I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Private individuals - genuine ones - would not be able to accept credit card payments.
  • Thanks for the speedy replies folks thats great info.

    The car is on British plates allegidly taken to Norway but now wants to sell it. He hasnt mentioned how he wants payment. The last response from me was that I wouldnt buy a car without seeing it.

    If there was a request for escrow payment should I report this ?

    Cheers
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    scfc_151 wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy replies folks thats great info.

    The car is on British plates allegidly taken to Norway but now wants to sell it. He hasnt mentioned how he wants payment. The last response from me was that I wouldnt buy a car without seeing it.

    If there was a request for escrow payment should I report this ?

    Cheers

    It will need to be reported on the site in question.

    I've just spoken to a friend who lives in Norway, who mentioned that stuff is making far more money here on UK plates, than on any UK-based site.

    CK
    💙💛 💔

    I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • I could get your friend to go and view the car for me! :D for a fee of course

    Thanks all
  • AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    scfc_151 wrote: »
    Ive been looking for a used car for a while and came across the ideal car. When contacting the seller he explained he moved to Norway from the UK and needs to sell the car.

    Imediatly I thought this was a scam. He sent me many pictures of the car including the experian car check report with the chassis number on etc.

    My question is if this was a genuine sale and after doing my research decided to make an offer, would I be able to buy this with a credit card and be covered with the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

    Many thanks

    My question is why are you looking at buying a used car from Norway?

    It'll be a heck of a long way to take it back if there's anything wrong, and if you are sure there will be nothing wrong, what are you worried about protection for?

    I'd suggest visiting your local car dealer if you want a used motor. I know all the ones around me are stuffed to the gunnels with used cars, especially at this time of year.
    Even if they don't have the car you want in stock, they can usually source one for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals