Bank error in my favour

Options
I pay off my HSBC gold visa in full every month by direct debit. As usual, they've taken then payment from my current account this month. However, they seem to have credited my cc balance TWICE - effectively paying off an extra £1000 for me! Now, I'm sure they'll pick it up eventually, but is there any way for me to capitalise on this by informing them in such a way as to illicit some kind of goodwill gesture? Or should I just ignore it, because you never know...
[size=-2]Matched betting profit: ~ £30,000 since Jan 2005
Quidco cashback: ~ £3,500 since May 2005
Topcashback: ~ £2,100 since Oct 2005
Rpoints: ~ £600 since June 2004

It's only fraud if you get caught.

I don't offer advice by PM so please post your questions in the appropriate thread.[/size]

Comments

• musicman1951
    Options
    Do consider withdrawing the 1000 pounds, using it for something luxurious (it will pay for a nice holiday in New Zealand!!) and when it does come to light (IF it does!) then simply offer to pay it off at a pound a month. They cannot let it affect your credit rating, they wouldn't want bad publicity on a site such as this, and you have the time of your life in the meantime! Alternatively, phone them up, tell them of their mistake and just dream of New Zealand instead! Let us all know what you DO decide to do eventually!!....
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firstly you should be aware that keeping it is technically theft as you are aware of the mistake (although it would be virtually impossible for anyone to prove that and very unlikely that you would be prosecuted).

Also you should be aware that they can go back 6 years to chase it up and possibly longer if they can prove some special circumstances.

If you are going to have trouble sleeping at nights then I would say give it back.

If you are comfortable with keeping it then make some interest on it in the meantime. They won't be able to charge you anything, so you will be able to keep any interest you've made.
  • bpyoung
    bpyoung Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Okay, I'll just keep schtum. I was going to have to withdraw some cash from my savings to pay off next month's bill, but I guess I can keep it there for now...

I don't offer advice by PM so please post your questions in the appropriate thread.[/size]
  • bpyoung
    bpyoung Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bah, they spotted it and corrected it - on the same day too, according to the dates on my account. Oh well.

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bank error in your favour, collect £20.

Or in this case, go straight to jail, do not pass go.

Do not collect £1000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport