We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Government shakes up energy bills – what does it mean for you?

Options
2»

Comments

• robgoingcrazy
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    What are you not sure about?

I'm used to small print from companies and government which usually throws up some exception...

Such as the "insulate your home for free, stay warm and save money" in big flashing lights in my British Gas account, so I click and answer their questions and it says if you are on Working Tax credits you are probably eligible, and only after getting your hopes up do you find out that you only get it if you are ALSO getting disabled benefits or child credits... so if you are a single self employed bloke you can do what I do and acclimatise to 12C in your living room if possible...

So that's why I don't quite trust the big headlines, until I've had a chance to delve into whether there will be some exception for some reason...
  • Mike108
    Options
    I singed up for "Online Fixed Price Energy August 2014 (No Standing Charge)" with Scottish Power last year. But I wonder how many consumers know that all companies have now introduced Standing Charges for all customers? It's a new rule from Ofgem.
    In my own case this means I will be pay an extra £96.27!!!
    If you're with Scottish Power and want to see your standing charge rate then login to your account click on "Manage my payments" then click "View my Direct Debit forecast".
    According to Ofgem energy companies can set the standing charge to zero (not SP) so if you know of an electricity tariff (Economy 7) with a zero standing charge then please post a link.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 December 2013 at 9:52AM
    Options
    Mike108 wrote: »
    I singed up for "Online Fixed Price Energy August 2014 (No Standing Charge)" with Scottish Power last year. But I wonder how many consumers know that all companies have now introduced Standing Charges for all customers? It's a new rule from Ofgem.
    In my own case this means I will be pay an extra £96.27!!!
    If you're with Scottish Power and want to see your standing charge rate then login to your account click on "Manage my payments" then click "View my Direct Debit forecast".
    According to Ofgem energy companies can set the standing charge to zero (not SP) so if you know of an electricity tariff (Economy 7) with a zero standing charge then please post a link.

Welcome to the forum.

On your fixed August 2014 tariff you are effectively paying a standing charge as you pay extra for the first 900 (Tier1) units.

In my area (Midlands) that is an extra 10.327p/kWh so £92.94(24.222p/kwh/13.895p/kWh)

Ebico have a zero standing charge but would be very expensive for all but very low users.

SP are normally the cheapest for an Economy 7 tariff.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought we were waiting for the Autumn Statement?

If this is it, then who will bother to tune in on Thursday?
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    I hope First Utility will also pass on some of the savings.
    I think that the smaller suppliers were already exempt from these charges, but not sure about First Utility - they may be big enough now.
    Checking if the supplier offers the Warm Home Discount is probably a good place to start.
    As above, I'm not 100% sure so it'd be worth double checking.#

(If the WHD will now be done through the government, does this mean that customers of small suppliers will no be eligable?)
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 December 2013 at 10:51AM
    Options
    Will this affect my £135 Warm Homes Discount - which I am supposed to be receiving from my supplier (S.P) by the end of March ?
    If so - how do I ensure that I still receive it ?
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    I'm used to small print from companies and government which usually throws up some exception...

Such as the "insulate your home for free, stay warm and save money" in big flashing lights in my British Gas account, so I click and answer their questions and it says if you are on Working Tax credits you are probably eligible, and only after getting your hopes up do you find out that you only get it if you are ALSO getting disabled benefits or child credits... so if you are a single self employed bloke you can do what I do and acclimatise to 12C in your living room if possible...

So that's why I don't quite trust the big headlines, until I've had a chance to delve into whether there will be some exception for some reason...

I am sure Richie from the Boro will be along to explain why you are a privileged, wealthy ingrate and why only those who already receive help deserve to receive more and those too poor to heat their homes are filthy undeserving scum.

I suppose the small print with this payback is that the chance of the £50/£53 being taken off the standing charge is approximately zero. Instead unit prices will be reduced so those too poor to heat will receive less than those who have enough money to keep their heating on.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Mike108 wrote: »
    Unlike with gas accounts a standing charge makes almost no net difference to electricity bills. And on Economy 7 it is nigh impossible to picture a usage scenario where it makes a difference (other than where properties are not occupied.)
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    SwanJon wrote: »
    I think that the smaller suppliers were already exempt from these charges, but not sure about First Utility - they may be big enough now.
    Checking if the supplier offers the Warm Home Discount is probably a good place to start.
    As above, I'm not 100% sure so it'd be worth double checking.#

(If the WHD will now be done through the government, does this mean that customers of small suppliers will no be eligable?)

Last customer numbers I saw were 190,000 so no obligation to pay green levies just yet. I made the point in another thread that, bizarrely, this decision plays into the hands of the Big 6 and, in actual fact, is working in the exact opposite way to what Ofgem were trying to achieve by allowing more competition from the minnows.
  • robgoingcrazy
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    I am sure Richie from the Boro will be along to explain why you are a privileged, wealthy ingrate and why only those who already receive help deserve to receive more and those too poor to heat their homes are filthy undeserving scum.

I'll look forward to that then :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport