Should I buy acronis true image 2014?

Options
Hi there,

I have Acronis true image home 2010 which runs fine on windows 7 on my computer, isn't compatible with windows 8 though, but I usually use 7 and backup windows 8 within it.

Acronis have sent me an email that I can upgrade to Acronis home 2014 for £15.95.

Just wondering is there much of an advantage for me to do so, other than to have it compatible with windows8?

thanks for any info.

Martin57

Comments

• somersethillbilly
    Options
    The Money Saving solution would be to use Macrium Reflect FREE Edition.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Huh... I've been using an old version of Acronis too but I'll give that a go -- cheers for the tip! :)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Anybody deciding on Macrium needs to be sure they can create rescue media.

I decided to give it a try and did a backup to my NAS which worked well. Then I decided I'd better produce a rescue CD - it failed for both Windows and Linux formats trying with both CD and DVD and with a spare flash drive. It did produce an ISO but considering the size of the download it required during the process the size was suspiciously small so I didn't bother burning a CD from it which I suspect wouldn't have worked anyway.

I've no idea why this failed for me and I'm assuming it may well work for others. I'm just saying try it first as an image isn't a lot of use if you've no way to restore it.

I've got Acronis 2013 which is orking OK for me but I liked the idea of a free alternative in case it stops working with later Windows versions as appears to be the case for 2010.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2013 at 12:32PM
    Options
    anyone deciding on anything needs to test the bootcd, the acronis linux cd doesn't work on all systems.

it failed, how - writing or booting? The iso is what's on the cd/dvd, windows pe iso is 10x bigger than linux version
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • swvillafan
    Options

Another alternative for cloning a PC is Clonezilla. Download the .iso and burn it to a cd then boot off it and clone to a USB drive. The interface is a text based but fairly straightforward to navigate!

http://clonezilla.org

:)
    Useful is beautiful
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    closed wrote: »
    it failed, how - writing or booting?
    Writing. It started off then declared it had failed with an error message I don't recall with both CD and DVD media. Same with a USB pen drive. I don't think it wrote anything at all to the media - at least I hope it didn't or they were wasted as well as my time. This was on a Win 7 Home machine. I may give it a go on a Win 8.1 Home laptop later.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    Options
    The linux iso was called rescue.iso last time I looked, it's small, and sat in the macrium directory, it can be written to any cd/dvd as a disc image with a burning program such as imgburn, doesn't have to be written using macrium.

The windows pe boot disc on the free version has some dependencies which need you to download a package from microsoft first, this is not required in the pro paid for version.
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family