PPI Claims

edited 30 November 2013 at 9:26PM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
4 replies 735 views
InsequentInsequent Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November 2013 at 9:26PM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum so please forgive if I seem a bit vague!

I wanted to ask about PPI claims.

Like most of us I guess, I have been plagued for months by phone calls from people saying they were calling to tell me that they have information which means I am owed compensation by Lloyds Tsb in relation to miss-sold loan insurance/card insurance etc. As over the years I have always refused all offers of this type of insurance and the fact that I am not willing to give banking or personal information to cold callers, I have always told them I was not interested. The phone calls continued.

I banked with Lloyds and Lloyds Tsb between 1973 and recently when my accounts were transferred to TSB because of European dictat.

I recently received information from CPP Group which indicates that without my knowledge I had 'taken out' one or more of these policies.

This started me thinking that given Lloyds handled very nearly all of my financial dealings for some forty years that it is possibly more than likely that I have been sold such products in the past without my knowledge.

I don't want to use the services of those making the phone calls to me but yet wonder if I should be doing something more than just leaving things as they are.

I used a lot of financial products from Lloyds over 40 years, most paid off early and as I said, as far as I am aware I never used any of the insurances in question. I have read on this forum that it is possible to launch a claim yourself, but I have no paperwork relating to any past dealings with Lloyds or even any idea if I have been a victim/sucker for this scam.

Can anyone tell me if I should be doing something, if so what? Or as I have no proof of any wrongdoing, should I just forget it and move on?

Thank you for reading,

Insequent

Replies

• -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you never knowingly bought it, forget it and move on.
    If you are doubting yourself, send a SAR and £10 to them to find out what info is left.
    If there are no records of PPI, your complaints are over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Insequent wrote: »
    it is possibly more than likely that I have been sold such products in the past without my knowledge.
    No it really isn't, you've just been brainwashed into believing that by the claims company plaguing you for months.
    It's a myth sponsored by the CMCs that Banks randomly added PPI (or other financial products) without the knowledge and permission of the customer. CMCs just want you to sign up with them, so they can take a third of any redress you would be offered if you did happen to have mis-sold PPI.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been plagued for months by phone calls from people saying they were calling to tell me that they have information which means I am owed compensation by Lloyds Tsb in relation to miss-sold loan insurance/card insurance etc.

As that data is not in the public domain, they either hold the information fraudulently or they have no such information and are committing fraud by pretending they do.
    Can anyone tell me if I should be doing something, if so what?

At the moment you dont know if you ever had PPI. Plus, you dont know if you were mis-sold it.

It could never be hidden. If you are the type of person that even takes basic checks of their paperwork, you could not fail to see it. If you never looked at any paperwork then its possible it may have ended up on some.

Spending £10 and doing a DSAR is the only way to tell if you have no records. However, that will only tell if you had PPI on relatively recent products. It wont go back fully in time and it wont tell if that PPI was mis-sold.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Insequent wrote: »
    I recently received information from CPP Group which indicates that without my knowledge I had 'taken out' one or more of these policies.

If they are telling the truth then they are at least as bad because they have obtained your personal data "without your knowledge". That is a criminal offence under the Data Protection Act 1998

If they are not then they have dishonestly making a statement which they know is, or may be, untrue in order to make a gain for themselves or to expose the bank and/or you to the risk of a loss.

That is a criminal offence under the Fraud Act 2006.

I wonder which it is.

But I wonder more why anybody would want to trust somebody who it took me less time to expose as a criminal than it took me to actually type this post.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals