Parking Eye - PCN

Hi all. Looking for some advice. I will keep the post short and to the point.

Back in early September I received a PCN from ParkingEye for "parking" without purchasing a ticket. My friend's car had a flat battery and I was providing jumper leads, with my vehicle obviously being the source of power.

I appealed the PCN via ParkingEye's online platform and awaited their reply.

(In the meantime I got familiar with these forums and discovered that I'd most likely receive a POPLA code, as mitigating circumstances fall on deaf ears with ParkingEye).

Well over a month passed and I still hadn't heard anything regarding my appeal. So I wrote to them (and have proof of postage) saying that the "as the recommended period of 35 days to consider appeals has passed and I still haven't had any correspondence I consider my appeal to have been successful and the PCN withdrawn".

I also said that "if for any reason the appeal was still under consideration then I require a POPLA code and also request the land owner's details so I can contact them directly regarding the PCN".

Another month passed by and I have now received a Letter Before County Court Claim. This letter is talking about how I was "given an opportunity" to further appeal my PCN with POPLA, and as I have failed to do so then court proceedings will be likely.

They haven't even given me an opportunity to further appeal, as today is the first I have heard since my initial appeal via their website.

Through reading these forums I understand that I need to acknowledge this LBCCC within 14 days, but I am unsure what the best plan of action is after that. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Replies

• edited 1 December 2013 at 11:07PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2013 at 11:07PM
    Well your main aim should be to get that rejection letter and POPLA code they seem to have forgotten. So acknowledge as per the LBCCC sticky thread and then your full response (as per that thread) should state what you've said above. Don't imply who was driving and I do hope your first appeal wasn't written about 'what happened' and saying who was driving...

Also I would email the BPA to complain about this lack of any rejection letter so they have to investigate it. Email addy for the BPA is on the 'NEWBIES read this first!' sticky thread. I would state categorically that no letter was received until this one after you appealed - it seems PE are known to have postal issues yet again (like they did in May):

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/parkingeye-postal-chaos-prankster.html

Tell the Parking Prankster if the BPA investigates and claims that PE reckon they sent something.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Ok thanks for the information, I will look into this.

Would anyone else be able to provide an further advise? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baron3000 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the information, I will look into this.

Would anyone else be able to provide an further advise? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

why would you need any further advise on top of the most prolific advisor on here who already answered you ? , one who has various sticky threads at the top of this forum specifically answering all the points you may have raised, and many you have not raised ? and of course the lazydaisy LBCCC thread too

ie two of the foremost "experts" on here

it would be disrespectful to her to try to tell you something she hasnt, also likely to be impossible too ;)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Hi guys.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original posts.

Since then I have once again told ParkingEye that I didn't receive a POPLA Code from them and also followed Coupon's advice in complaining to the BPA.

The BPA underwent an investigation into my case with ParkingEye and the end result is that ParkingEye have re-issued a POPLA Code as a "Goodwill Gesture". This has come through in the post today.

It appeared that I was then ready to go ahead and submit my POPLA Appeal. However, upon closer inspection of the POPLA Code, by using the information I have learned on these forums over the past few months, as well as ParkingPrankster's blog, I can see that the POPLA Code is from the 266th day of the year 2013 - which coincides with the date of the parking incident. So they haven't "regenerated" a new POPLA Code for me at all.

So my question is, would the POPLA Appeal automatically fail due to the code being outside of the 28 day window, or would the fact I never received one in the first place mean that the code will still be OK ? Are ParkingEye trying to shaft me here?

Thanks.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you now need to point this out to the BPA as its clearly incompetence on the part of PE

hopefully they will then get you a new 2014 popla code that is valid for 28 days
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are ParkingEye trying to shaft me here?
    Certainly this is an attempt to shaft you. That code will not work. Complain LIKE MAD to the BPA again and copy in David Dunford at the DVLA about this sharp practice:

[EMAIL="david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk"][email protected][/EMAIL]

I think this is something the Parking Prankster might be interested to read/blog about as it's as bad as UKPC's time-travelling POPLA code (Google it).

What is odd though, is that the system allows a code to be back dated. Makes no sense at all because it has to match the rejection letter date (or in this case, the 'goodwill gesture' date) so why is the software allowing a code for 2013 to be generated now?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JAS parking were also generating invalid codes to some members , so seems a few of them are "at it"
    Newbies !!
  • Guys_DadGuys_Dad Forumite
    11K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I be Clear about the date.? Are you saying that the POPLA code is dated on the day of the alleged contravention or that it would have been a valid date at the time to coincide with your appeal letter?

Obviously it is worthless now but if they are saying that they have reissued the original code and that date pre-dated your appeal then they are committing a clearly undeniable fraud, not just sharp practice.
  • HO87HO87 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Perhaps somebody at Chorley Towers has a performance related bonus inversely proportional to the number of POPLA codes they issue?[/idlemusingmode]
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • Hi guys, thanks for replying.

The parking incident occurred on 8th September 2013, which was a Sunday. I sent my appeal via their online platform 1 or 2 days maximum after the incident.

I didn't receive anything after that in way of correspondence until late November, which is when the LBCCC was sent to me.

After I complained to the BPA about ParkingEye never issuing a POPLA Code in the first place, I subsequently received my most recent ParkingEye correspondence which came only a few days ago. This is the letter where they claim to have "regenerated" a POPLA Code for me, as a result me complaining to the BPA I also have an email from the BPA themselves confirming that ParkingEye have agreed to issue another POPLA Code as their "Goodwill Gesture". This "regenerated" POPLA Code is xxx2663xxx.

Also included with this recent ParkingEye correspondence is a letter which looks to be original correspondence they sent me way back in September (after my original appeal). Whether this is true or not I don't know - as I never received it. This letter is dated 23rd September 2013, and also has the same POPLA Code of xxx2663xxx - so they've not regenerated a new one for me at all.

I have now re-complained to the BPA about this incompetence and I'm awaiting their reply.

Thanks all.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides