PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Short Term Rental

Options
I have been given a date to complete our sale of our house. As a back up, just wondering what the options are out there for some sort of short term rental? I meaning a few weeks, months etc. I really hope its doesn't come to that, but want to know what options we have.

Can you rent a flat for 1 month? Is that an option?

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Highly unlikely to be a regular rental agreement for such a short length of time because irrespective of the length of the tenancy, the LL can't force you to leave before 6 months are up.

Depending on the time of year, you might be able to find a holiday let out of season - but that wouldn't really work for months as opposed to weeks, and would be costly.

It really depends on why you think you might need a rental, and the duration it's likely to last / time of year.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In theory a tenancy can be for any length you agree.

In practice few landlords agree toless than 6 months
    a) for the reasons yorkie1 has explained and
    b) the cost of tenant changes makes a short let un-economic.

Some hotels (Premier Inn?) do very good rates on long stay bookings (several weeks)
  • suze012
    suze012 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Have seen a travel inn thats quite reasonable, but eating out every day is a bit of a hassle, if needs must etc x
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What about a holiday let property? That way you can have more home comforts than a hotel but still have the length of time you are looking for? I guess it may depend what location you are in but just a thought
  • Beachview_2
    Options
    BookWorm wrote: »
    What about a holiday let property? That way you can have more home comforts than a hotel but still have the length of time you are looking for? I guess it may depend what location you are in but just a thought

For holiday lets you'd probably be looking at the price of a month's rent to be paid each week. Well for the ones I looked at anyway, as I might be in the same situation soon.
  • Beachview_2
    Options
    What if you get a 6 month tenancy, and find a house you want to buy before the 6 months are up? Can you leave the rented property or do you have to keep paying for the 6 months? I suppose the landlord would still want the 6 months rent?

Then if you take a short term rental, like one of the holiday lets, it might take longer than expected to find a new house.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm aware of some furnished apartments, that offer something between a holiday let and a traditional rental. A friend of my son and his family were moved into one by their insurance company following a house fire. Not cheap, but a lot of flexibility. That would depend on you finding something similar near where you are.

Another cheaper possibility might be static caravans.

At work we once struck a deal for a holiday cottage let outside the normal holiday letting period. It was much cheaper than their normal rates, but still meant they got income for a couple of months that they wouldn't otherwise have had. They did begin to get very twitchy as it was approaching a busier period and our member of staff still hadn't moved on, so good communication and a clear agreement about maximum timescale would be important.
  • Mulder00
    Mulder00 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we first arrived in London, we were looking for a place to rent for exactly 5 months. I thought it would be a struggle, but just jumped on Gumtree and the first place we saw, we liked and after explaining our situation, the owner was more than happy to let the place out to us for 5 months.

My previous landlord's sale fell through two days before we were due out, so he is also looking for someone to stay there in the short term until he can sell in 4 months time.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beachview wrote: »
    What if you get a 6 month tenancy, and find a house you want to buy before the 6 months are up? Can you leave the rented property or do you have to keep paying for the 6 months? I suppose the landlord would still want the 6 months rent?

Then if you take a short term rental, like one of the holiday lets, it might take longer than expected to find a new house.

You are legally responsible to pay the rent (and utilities / council tax) until the end of the contract. This is unless the LL agrees an earlier surrender of the tenancy. You can offer to pay the re-letting fees and rent until the new tenants move in, but the LL is not obliged to agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure