PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moved in 3 weeks ago but regretting it!

I just want to check that even tho I signed a contract for 6 months, providing I give a month's notice I could still move onto somewhere more suitable??

I rushed into things and need to find somewhere smaller!!!

Thanks
FR

Comments

• Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2013 at 2:13PM
    Unless there's a very unusual break clause you have signed a legal contract to pay rent for six months.

If you are prepared to pay all the fees for the landlord to find a replacement tenant, and all the rent until they move in the landlord might let you go early but they don't have too. Also this might not be cheaper for you as reletting fees can be high and you'd also be paying rent elsewhere.

Could you take in a lodger to help with the costs?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Thank you for your reply, unfortunately I can't get a lodger, the bathroom is unusually off of one of the bedroom's so wouldn't really work to have someone else living there.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have just been reading your previous threads about going it alone so sorry to hear that things haven't worked out.

You are in a 6 month fixed tenancy agreement so unless the landlord agrees to let you break your agreement then you are stuck. Even if the LL allows it then it could be expensive - paying for reletting fees etc.

What specifically is the problem - perhaps we could look at some options to overcome them?
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tenants with a periodic tenancy agreement, which automatically happens when the fixed term agreement expires and no new agreement is signed, can serve 1 months notice (if the rental period is monthly) with the notice period expiring to coincide with the rental period. That's perhaps why you mistakenly think you might be able to serve 1 months notice - some tenants can. However, you sound like you are within the initial fixed term of the contract.

Check the contract for any notice clauses and see the Shelter website to understand how fixed term contracts operate and the limited ways that you may be able to end it early (such as if the landlord consents).
  • It's a 2 bed end terraced old house, I only use the back half of the house. It's too big for just 1 person and I find it very cold - I have a thermometer in my bedroom and it doesn't get above 15. The front living/dining room is empty - I don't have enough furniture for it and it has laminate floor so feels really cold.

I don't earn a great deal so am very concerned about having heating on too often, gas/elec are on card meters which I've never used before and so am a little paranoid about running out! Everything is turned off apart from my fridge/freezer and alarm clock when I'm not there!!!

I haven't spent a weekend there yet, finding any excuse I can to not be there.

I really want just a 1 bed flat!
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What sort of heating have you got?

I think the general opinion is to keep everywhere heated on a daily basis so that you don't have problems with condensation but I'm not an expert. Perhaps someone can help if you let us know your heating type.

Basically your options are to speak to your landlord and see what they might agree to or look on Freecycle and get some free furniture and rugs to furnish all the rooms and make it more homely and get that heating sorted out.

Any chance of upping your income by overtime or taking on a second job?
  • I have gas central heating.

I could try getting a 2nd job - I hate being at the house so at least I would then spend more time away from it!!!

Thank you everyone for you replies, looks like I'm stuck! I will try and furnish it more to make it warmer.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    FrugleRock wrote: »
    It's a 2 bed end terraced old house, I only use the back half of the house. It's too big for just 1 person and I find it very cold - I have a thermometer in my bedroom and it doesn't get above 15. The front living/dining room is empty - I don't have enough furniture for it and it has laminate floor so feels really cold.

I don't earn a great deal so am very concerned about having heating on too often, gas/elec are on card meters which I've never used before and so am a little paranoid about running out! Everything is turned off apart from my fridge/freezer and alarm clock when I'm not there!!!

How much of this is problems with the house itself and how much is simply due to disliking the change this represents or the way it hits your disposable income?

My house is a cold and drafty one so I basically nest in a couple of the warmest rooms where I've installed a halogen heater and woollen blanket.

I have an electric blanket and put a rug down by the bed on the chilly wooden floor of the bedroom which rarely gets above 17 degrees and I'm quite toasty there this way. In a previous property, I slept in the living room as it was the only room with a decent heater and double glazing. I just put the bed mattress on the floor, not very elegant solution but a comfortable way to sleep.

Go over the energy boards on the MSE forum to find out how you can save money by switching to direct debits and companies that will swap to a regular meter without a charge.

Get rugs, carpet and furniture off Freecycle, freegle, freeshare, Gumtree freebies or cheaply in charity shops and try making it more homely since you might be stuck there for another 5 months.
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    As BigAunty suggests it may be worth considering living in one or two rooms through the winter. But do keep the rest of the house aired to stop the buildup of condensation.

Have you considered an electric blanket on the bed or a heated throw? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homefront-Luxury-Washable-Electric-Chocolate/dp/B001IRYFJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385822103&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+throw

We had problems with the heating last March when there was all the snow and the electric blanket was wonderful. In bed with a hat and scarf and an electric blanket (or a heated throw) can really help you not feel so miserable and cold and will save money on heating.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • gay_guy
    gay_guy Posts: 878 Forumite
    FrugleRock wrote: »
    I just want to check that even tho I signed a contract for 6 months, providing I give a month's notice I could still move onto somewhere more suitable??

I rushed into things and need to find somewhere smaller!!!

Thanks
    FR

Something doesn't add up here! if you wanted a 1 bedroom flat, why did you view a 2 bedroom house? and why did you sign the tenancy? did the Landlord force you to sign it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure