Parking charge notice for bike being parked on the pavement

I received a parking ticket yesterday from CMS Ltd for parking my bike on the pavement at the back of an underground Tesco car park and only did so, so I could chain it to the back of the trolley collection point. The last time I left it in a parking bay chained to the trolley collection point some idiot actually managed to squeeze their car in the same space and I have known bikes with just wheel locks on to be stolen by simply been thrown in the back of a van.

The thing that really annoys me is the fact that I feel like I was been watched by cameras and pounced on as soon as I went in the store. Some of these firms might as well be wearing black and white stripes and balaclava’s. I only use the bike for commuting to university and literally was only it the store for ten minutes (ticket issued 6 minutes before getting back to the bike) to grab a couple of things on my way home and thought leaving it there would be ok as it was in no way an obstruction to any pedestrians or wheelchair access.

The ticket has been issued for not been parked in a bay and photos have been taken. There are signs around the car park but nothing around where the bike was parked. I will be going back to the store to speak to the manager (as advised) and going to ignore the charge as advised. I have also read that you can’t be fined if your wheel is off the ground and unless your causing an obstruction but obviously not sure how reliable this information is. After reading all the threads about ‘parking charges notices’, ‘damages’ and ‘appeals’ etc, I am just wondering if I have anything in my favour (with been parked on the pavement) if I appeal? The sum of £100 is payable within 28 days and reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days.

Thanks for your time

Replies

• Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ignore as advised? that advice is old and should not be used.
    and you owe zero, as above in your op you should be complaining to both the store and the parking company.
    Don't look at it as an appeal, its more a challenge, as the parking company, or the store had no right to issue a penalty. also the store is fully responsible for the actions of its agents.
    more later (if required)
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • spacey2012spacey2012 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are we talking about a pedal cycle ?
    Be happy...;)
  • The_Slithy_ToveThe_Slithy_Tove Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    going to ignore the charge as advised.
    By whom? You certainly won't find that advice here.
    I have also read that you can’t be fined if your wheel is off the ground and unless your causing an obstruction but obviously not sure how reliable this information is.
    Sounds like pub talk/urban myth to me.
    After reading all the threads about ‘parking charges notices’, ‘damages’ and ‘appeals’ etc, I am just wondering if I have anything in my favour (with been parked on the pavement) if I appeal
    If you really have read all the threads, you wouldn't be asking that question. Your appeal is not based on what you did or didn't do, but to challenge the entire basis of the charge. Have you read the very first (sticky) thread on this forum: NEWBIES!!! HAVE YOU GOT A PRIVATE PARKING TICKET?**READ THIS FIRST**!! Thankyou!!!!?
  • Sorry should made that clear but its a motorbike
  • edited 30 November 2013 at 12:00PM
    UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2013 at 12:00PM
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    Are we talking about a pedal cycle ?

OP - if you are talking about a pedal cycle then you can ignore the ticket attached to it. PPCs need to have a vehicle registration number in order to access your details from the DVLA.

Pleeeeease tell us it was a pedal cycle, we could all do with a laugh that a PPC parking chimp ticketed a push bike :rotfl:

EDIT EDIT EDIT

Posts have crossed in writing - just noticed your confirmation of it being a motorbike. What a shame.

Please continue by reading the Newbies sticky at the top of the forum index.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Sorry should made that clear but its a motorbike
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    OP - if you are talking about a pedal cycle then you can ignore the ticket attached to it. PPCs need to have a vehicle registration number in order to access your details from the DVLA.

Pleeeeease tell us it was a pedal cycle, we could all do with a laugh that a PPC parking chimp ticketed a push bike :rotfl:
    :beer:..........
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :beer:..........

Read my edit :cool:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Which CMS is this?

They are not AOS members so this is one of the very good reasons we tell people not to appeal unless a PPC writes to the keeper (which CMS cannot).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • They are registered as Comprehensive Management Services Limited in Lytham, St Annes
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep and I assume you've now Googled the AOS members list and found they aren't on it? And searched this forum for 'CMS' to see all the recent threads about them?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS