Where to Plug in Washing Machine?

I've heard it say that washing machines should be on their own plug because of the draw of energy.

I have a single plug socket available but it reaches the limit of the wire. However behind the washing machine is a 4-bar which has the fridge, freezer and microwave plugged in currently.

Do you think it would be safe to plug the washing machine in there too? It would mean the spare socket is available for other things.

Thanks

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Forumite Posts: 6,233
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2013 at 12:27PM
    No! it is not safe, if it is an extension lead and all four units were on at the same time you will be drawing too much current and risk the socket overheating, the washing machine and microwave should be on their own separate sockets.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Forumite Posts: 3,517
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How about an electrician to put in an extra double socket or two?
  • It's not good practice, but the 13A fuse will blow if you overload the 4-way extension
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Forumite Posts: 3,485
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks. I thought so, just making sure.
    Microwave, fridge, freezer seem to be okay. We hardly use the microwave these days. Poor microwave!
  • yangptangkipperbang
    yangptangkipperbang Forumite Posts: 1,811 Forumite
    It's not good practice, but the 13A fuse will blow if you overload the 4-way extension

If the fuse blows you are safe - you are more at risk if the fuse doesn't blow. Most of these extension devices are of doubtful quality. The most common problem with them is poor contact between the plug pins and the socket contacts - this will cause overheating, and possibly a fire, if a heavy current is being drawn.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Forumite Posts: 22,754
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Where the single socket is, it's not a big job to convert that into a double. But if the cable from your machine only just reaches i think i'd start by fitting a new cable, it's not as if the machine is on constantly so most of the time the single socket wont be getting used anyway if you want to plug in something else.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Forumite Posts: 3,361
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The supply needs to be easily isolated in case of emergency, a socket behind the machine is not considered acceptable.
  • googler
    googler Forumite Posts: 16,101
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cajef wrote: »
    No! it is not safe, if it is an extension lead and all four units were on at the same time you will be drawing too much current and risk the socket overheating, the washing machine and microwave should be on their own separate sockets.

How can you 'know' this, when you don't know the rating of the cable fitted to the extension block, nor the rating of each device in use?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure