Standard lamp with halogen bulbs blown at same time

Options
Just now my standard lamp with 3x 50w gu10 bulbs blew all three bulbs at once. It was on for a good hour. Earlier this week, I replaced one of the bulbs.

The lamp is about 7 years old.

I would like to hear your opinions of the lamp. Was I just unlucky with 3 bulbs going at once, the fuse gone or the lamp is kaput.

Comments

• Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Experienced something similar a while back. The fact that all bulbs are out suggests it's the fuse and that proved to be the case with ours.

Unfortunately it kept blowing fuses and I tracked it down to a faulty on/off switch in the supply lead that was shorting.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've found that cheaper GU10 bulbs have a tendancy to blow fuses/trip rcd's when they fail but even better quality ones seem to vary in how long they last.

I'm now replacing with LED equivalents from LED Hut. Their 4w versions are around £6.50 each but they often have discounts (25% off today using code BF25) so you would get 3 for around £15.50.

If you replaced all 3 your power consumption would fall from 150 watts to 12 and I have to say that the light output from these is very comparable to a 50w bulb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure