Online Assessment Section 4 - figure for underpaid tax

Options
Hi, further to my earlier post.

I have now accessed my online notices of coding.

According to the following section of my online self assessment there should be 'a figure' on my notices of coding for 'underpaid tax for earlier years'? Does anyone know where this figure is meant to be? I have done an online search and quite a few people it appears have been confused with this question and not many answers were given so I'm hoping someone will know what I'm trying to ask here - thank you

Section 4 of the self assessment reads like this:

4. Fill in your return

* indicates required information

Our records show that your 2012-13 PAYE Notice of Coding includes an adjustment for tax underpaid. Please complete the following question(s).

Underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 2012-13: £ 0.00
If this figure is not correct, select 'No' and you will be given a chance to amend it below.*

Comments

• Laurajo_2
    Laurajo_2 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    edited 29 November 2013 at 11:27PM
    Options
    It says it's nil...this should be correct if you've not elected for your tax liability to be collected through your coding notice in previous years ie you've paid any tax liability due by 31 jan rather than electing to have it collected through PAYE coding.

Have you found your PAYE codes?

If none of them mention an adjustment for tax underpaid for previous years, you're good to go, nil is correct.
  • sitesafe
    Options
    Hi Laura

Yes I found them - there are three employers - I don't know why I received notices two of them as I had stopped working for them and received P45s. Basically they broke down my earnings as BR for one; and then 703L for another and then 106T for another - I didn't receive a 12/13 coding for the employer I was working for for that year (although I do have codings for them now for the 13/14 year but strangely still for two of the jobs I no longer work for.

There is nowhere saying that I have made any underpayments on the notices so I wonder why the form says 'our records show that the 122/13 notice of coding shows an adjustment for underpayments etc etc...'?

Last year the tax owed me money so I didn't elect any money to be paid from my PAYE for the following year.

I will put nil in but I read somewhere when someone put nil in after receiving the same message that I did on their SA form that something weird happened. I think I put nil in and hen it just went back to the same questions as if not accepting my answer nil.

I will try again tomorrow - really fed up as spent all day organising my receipts, checking bank statements etc...Normally SA is really straightforward but this section has stopped me in my tracks - shame they couldn't have left it until the end as until I complete it I can't put in any of my other figures!!

Glass of wine and time for bed I think - I'm aching from sitting here most of the day!

Thank you for your help again
  • suso
    suso Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options
    There's 2 questions very similar, one talks about underpaid tax in the previous years tax code and the following talks about underpaid tax elected to be collected in the following years tax code (ie this years)

People often think its the same question being repeated.

If there is nothing in the notice of coding about any underpaid tax enter nil or 0.00 in the box, and if nothing is being collected in this years, then nil for the next question as well.
    He's not an accountant - he's a charlatan
  • stemcg
    Options
    Hi,

I am having to fill in a self assesment for the first time and am struggling on how and what to put in section 4. I wanted to clarify the previous posts and the meaning....

Should I expect to see a value in the feilds pre-populated if there is somthing for me to validate.... Or if the feild is empty is it right to assume there is nothing to confirm so just enter a zero?

and does this apply to the subsequent (similar) questions.

regards

steve
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stemcg wrote: »
    Hi,

I am having to fill in a self assesment for the first time and am struggling on how and what to put in section 4. I wanted to clarify the previous posts and the meaning....

Should I expect to see a value in the feilds pre-populated if there is somthing for me to validate.... Or if the feild is empty is it right to assume there is nothing to confirm so just enter a zero?

and does this apply to the subsequent (similar) questions.

regards

steve

First you should read, neither of your options are correct.
    hint: you will need your coding notices.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • stemcg
    Options
    zygurat789...

Thanks for taking the time to post.

This means I am really in trouble then!! I have no idea where I can get the information to complete section 4...

Any pointers would be a great help.

Thanks in advance
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stemcg wrote: »
    zygurat789...

Thanks for taking the time to post.

This means I am really in trouble then!! I have no idea where I can get the information to complete section 4...

Any pointers would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Read post 1 line 2 you should already have the information.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure