IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

GPEoL & Operational Costs! POPLA REFUSED

2»

Replies

• edited 30 November 2013 at 1:21AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    113.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2013 at 1:21AM
    This really wasn't surprising and I would never suggest relying mainly on 'no GPEOL' against Napier as they own many of their car parks and don't word their signage as 'breach'. No GPEOL isn't a magic bullet where the signage isn't worded that way and I do keep repeating this every so often!

It took a lot of thought to reach the wording that LowEndTheory used on pepipoo when he beat Napier at POPLA... and I wasn't certain it would work...it did.

So sadly, this thread is an example of how not to do a POPLA appeal v Napier or C.Parking.Solutions and is not one that was advised by the forum (I would never have suggested relying heavily on a standard set of paragraphs about 'no GPEOL' from the usual template examples). I have checked your original thread and we were shocked that you just submitted a POPLA appeal to Napier without any wording help, BIG MISTAKE!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4784182

...my post #4 warned you about this, told you what to look for & said 'I am urging caution over the POPLA appeal.' Then you just sent a version off without us seeing it.

And now, unfortunately, you should expect a small claim which may be hard to defend IF Napier do own this car park. Oh dear.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • edited 30 November 2013 at 5:34AM
    esmerobboesmerobbo Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    edited 30 November 2013 at 5:34AM
    Its Devere in Bournemouth by the way.

Napier have a better than average chance of avoiding GEPOL as they do own the car parks and they are P&D.
    Assessor was a bit extravagant on the 3 hours staff time, for no doubt issuing templated letters? I doubt anything was done out of the norm.

As far as I am aware Napier have only done court once, and given they throw the case at everyone who appeals then it seems thats it, but after a POPLA win they may feel the need for another.
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Yes you are right , getting my scammers mixed up
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • spacey2012spacey2012 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it is more of a case that POPLA have been put in their rightful place by their masters the BPA.
    We shall see in the next weeks.
    Be happy...;)
  • nigelbbnigelbb Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Never mind the dodgy witness statement or dodgy calculations on GPEOL it's illogical to accept that £90 can be exactly the loss incurred. The only income that PPCs receive comes from from issuing parking charges in this case for £90. So unless the company is running at a loss the £90 claimed must include an element of profit which means it cannot be a GPEOL.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We didn't see full details of the OP's case nor the wording of the POPLA appeal. The OP also started this new thread rather than adding to the original which claimed that they were charged for 27 seconds but again this wasn't explained.

It would be nice if the OP could provide full details of case & appeal. It would also be nice if a moderator could merge this thread with the original to keep the discussion all in one place.
  • trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nigelbb wrote: »
    Never mind the dodgy witness statement or dodgy calculations on GPEOL it's illogical to accept that £90 can be exactly the loss incurred. The only income that PPCs receive comes from from issuing parking charges in this case for £90. So unless the company is running at a loss the £90 claimed must include an element of profit which means it cannot be a GPEOL.

You have nailed it in one. The whole PPC "industry" is founded on a myth. If they can only make money from claiming unfair penalties (plus the odd P&D ticket) then not one parking company should be able to stay in business.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • I can do that if people wish? Add the original POPLA appeal to the original thread? I did a hell of a lot of reading of POPLA appeals, previous cases, case law etc etc... It's not like I rushed headlong into it. The argument wasn't solely on GPEoL but given advice from a multitude of sources covered a few different bases.

Interesting decision though. I think the PPC submitted some 40+ pages of evidence!

SHiNK
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    113.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    In fact it would be really helpful to see the appeal you did send, and the evidence they showed, pics of the signage and documents even if it takes several replies to show the documents to us. Their evidence might be able to be picked apart ready for when they send you a letter before claim and there may be defence points hidden there.

So it could help you and could help others trying to beat Napier at POPLA.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals