Definitive answer on bank charges/ppi

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
1 reply 522 views
t18cont18con Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Quick brief..... tried to reclaim ppi from my bank on a historic 1995 loan, they turned down my original request for return of the monies, but held their hands up to mis-selling on two loans dating from 1996 and 1998 (I genuinely never knew I had ppi on these loans). They offered me a refund on the two later loans, with interest. I said I would accept if they included all bank charges incurred as a result of being without the ppi monies. They refused point blank to include the bank charges.

All three complaints are now with the ombudsman. I have stated on the ombudsman's paperwork that I require the return of bank charges relating to being without the monies and interest obviously.

I had read somewhere that I SHOULD have included a totally separate claim in relation to the bank charges, so I sent a complaint into the bank 8 weeks ago. They replied today, trying to fob me off with a cheque for ANOTHER totally different set of ppi (on an overdraft) which again I didn't even know I had.

So, in relation to the charges, am I 100% correct in chasing the bank charges that I have incurred from being without the ppi monies?

I have a linked credit card, if the bank owed me more than my credit card limit, is the interest on the card reclaimable?

I have a consolidation loan running. Again, in my estimate, they owed me more than the original consolidation loan was for, so is the interest on the consolidation loan reclaimable?

If I'm correct in those assumptions, do I need to pursue this as a SEPARATE complaint to the ombudsman? and is there a link to the relevant paperwork??

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• edited 29 November 2013 at 7:10PM
    -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2013 at 7:10PM
    t18con wrote: »
    So, in relation to the charges, am I 100% correct in chasing the bank charges that I have incurred from being without the ppi monies?

No.

You get an element of compensation that is the 8% interest.

Yours seems to be a history of borrowing money anyway, so even if you had had the PPI monies, you still borrowed the original loan and all subsequent loans/overdrafts/credit cards

I don't think your PPI monies would have been all of that combined.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides