2 year Guarantee on iPad

Options
Could do with a it of advice before I commit to a purchase.
I'm looking to buy an iPad Air 16GB 4G Cellular and have narrowed my choice of retailer down to two.
Just having difficulty deciding who to buy from

I can get the 16GB version for £468 from John Lewis
Whereas the 32GB version is £488 direct from Apple (includes £50 cashback from Amex).

On the face of it, it appears the 32GB from Apple is the better deal. I get more memory for only £20 extra.

The difference however is that JL include a 2 year Guarantee on their iPad whereas Apple only offer the 1 year.

I spoke to the Apple adviser and quoted Sale of Goods Act and the EU directive on Guarantees to find out if they would cover a hypothetical fault after 12 months. He said they would but I would have to prove the fault existed at the time of delivery if I attempt to claim within 6 years. Naturally he tried to sell me AppleCare +

If a problem did occur (say a button on iPad wasn't working properly or it started freezing etc) after 12 months, how easy would it be to get it repaired/replaced from Apple? Would I have to prove it was a fault that existed earlier on? How would I do that.

Conversely, with JL it would be much easier to get repaired/replaced as they explicitly state a 2 year Guarantee

Obviously I would prefer the 32GB version for £20 more @ Apple but I would like to know if the extra 1 year Guarantee that John Lewis offer is any more comprehensive than what my statutory rights already cover me for.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you got that sort of money to burn on an ipad (only kidding ;)) then personally I'd get the one from Apple with the extra storage.
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    loofer wrote: »
    I spoke to the Apple adviser and quoted Sale of Goods Act and the EU directive on Guarantees to find out if they would cover a hypothetical fault after 12 months.

Careful with the EU directive, it doesn't exist (at least in the way you think it does). See Martin's blog post here for more info.
    He said they would but I would have to prove the fault existed at the time of delivery if I attempt to claim within 6 years.

He is correct. The Sale of Goods Act says that after the first 6 months have passed since you purchase it then any fault will be assumed to not be inherent (and therefore not covered). If Apple choose not to help you after the 1 year warranty is up then you will need to get an independent report saying that the fault is inherent (i.e is not caused by misuse or fair wear and tear, but rather by a manufacturing defect etc).
    If a problem did occur (say a button on iPad wasn't working properly or it started freezing etc) after 12 months, how easy would it be to get it repaired/replaced from Apple? Would I have to prove it was a fault that existed earlier on? How would I do that.

As above, you'd need to get an independent report stating that the fault was inherent. Also if the report finds in your favour then Apple will have to reimburse you the cost of that too.

Conversely, with JL it would be much easier to get repaired/replaced as they explicitly state a 2 year Guarantee

Obviously I would prefer the 32GB version for £20 more @ Apple but I would like to know if the extra 1 year Guarantee that John Lewis offer is any more comprehensive than what my statutory rights already cover me for.

It would probably be easier to get a repair under the guarantee, but the guarantee is above and beyond your statutory rights. They can impose pretty much any terms and conditions they want and can refuse to honour the guarantee if you break those terms. Your statutory rights are much more comprehensive, but take a bit more effort after the 6 months has passed.
  • loofer
    loofer Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Careful with the EU directive, it doesn't exist (at least in the way you think it does). See Martin's blog post here for more info.

He is correct. The Sale of Goods Act says that after the first 6 months have passed since you purchase it then any fault will be assumed to not be inherent (and therefore not covered). If Apple choose not to help you after the 1 year warranty is up then you will need to get an independent report saying that the fault is inherent (i.e is not caused by misuse or fair wear and tear, but rather by a manufacturing defect etc).

As above, you'd need to get an independent report stating that the fault was inherent. Also if the report finds in your favour then Apple will have to reimburse you the cost of that too.

It would probably be easier to get a repair under the guarantee, but the guarantee is above and beyond your statutory rights. They can impose pretty much any terms and conditions they want and can refuse to honour the guarantee if you break those terms. Your statutory rights are much more comprehensive, but take a bit more effort after the 6 months has passed.
    Thanks.
    Helps me decide a bit better. The £20 difference is neither here nor there.
    Essentially I'm choosing between an extra 16GB of memory or an extra year's Peace of Mind.
    Given I originally decided the 16GB model should be enough for my needs, an extra £20 for the 32GB model seemed quite appealing from a 're-sale value' point of view.
    Saying that, 2 year Guarantee would also help maintain the re-sale value. I think I'll be going with the JL but I'll still ponder over it until both parcels arrive and then make final decision.

Bit gutted I missed the JL 3 year Guarantee offer they had on the iPads. was waiting for them to confirm a price match but they weren't willing to match Tesco/Currys/Asda (it appears they apply the Never Knowingly Undersold Policy inconsistently)

Thanks for your response.
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    Could have got it today on the black friday price.... unless the prices you mentioned in your post were the black friday prices, in which case theyre more expensive now.
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    Also note that the guarantee is not necessarily transferable. That will depend on the terms and conditions.
  • loofer
    loofer Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    Also note that the guarantee is not necessarily transferable. That will depend on the terms and conditions.
    Possibly
    "You cannot transfer this agreement to someone else without our prior permission"
    From their T&Cs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport