MSE News: Parents can share maternity leave from 2015

"New rights to share parental leave with a new-born baby's father will help stop women feeling they have to choose between having a career or a baby, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg says..."
Read the full story:

Parents can share maternity leave from 2015

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Sounds like a total train wreck
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    I am quite pleased to read this.

If we were ever to have children it would make much more financial sense for my husband to be at home for a few months than for me to. Surely this helps recognise that the male is not always the bread winner in the household?

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I do agree - but this will discourage the whole breast feeding / formula feeding.

Obviously if the woman goes back to work after 2 weeks then the baby will be FF feed.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • I also wonder if it's a way to reduce maternity leave eventually.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I wonder how firms will manage sharing the data involved - the father's employer will need to know how much mat.leave the mother has taken from her employer, but would that request breach data protection? What is to stop a mother taking 9 months, and then the father lying "she only took 6 months so I'm entitled to 6 months too" ...
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Sounds like a total train wreck

Why's that then?
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    I wonder how firms will manage sharing the data involved - the father's employer will need to know how much mat.leave the mother has taken from her employer, but would that request breach data protection?

Same issue with child benefit.. how does HMRC know that Woman X (claming child benefit) is in a relationship with Man Y who earns 75K?
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wonder how firms will manage sharing the data involved - the father's employer will need to know how much mat.leave the mother has taken from her employer, but would that request breach data protection? What is to stop a mother taking 9 months, and then the father lying "she only took 6 months so I'm entitled to 6 months too" ...

Other countries manage it so it must be possible. Perhaps your time off is registered somewhere central in the same way your other work info is.

I wonder if it could cause some conflict between couples. I do know a few guys who couldn't wait to get back to work after having a few days off as they were not massively interested in babies. They didn't tell their wives that though. I can just imagine some guy trying to think up excuses for why he can't take paternity leave!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,498 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    As men can get 12 months adoption leave I can't see the World falling apart.
  • Overall its a good thing, not so sure about being allowed to chop and change when and who takes the leave though.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure