MSE News: Government 'wants big six energy firms to hold prices'

in Energy
41 replies 3K views

Replies

• sheffield_ladsheffield_lad Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's time for a polll/thread with ref which supply MSE's are with?

I will look to setting one up.
  • dude89dude89 Forumite
    191 Posts
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    "The big six energy firms are being urged by EVERYONE to hold prices until the middle of 2075..."
    Read the full story:
    OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

That's a more accurate news piece in my opinion
  • EDF increasing costs in January, just in time for the cold spell. They send out a letter saying it is due their 'increasing costs!!' What a joke! It is because it is winter, they never increase in the summer do they. Also, I wonder how much interest they get from the people in credit!! Rip off
  • vision2009vision2009 Forumite
    153 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    They are all in it together, one big RIPP-OFF.
    The only way to stop these extortionate price increases year upon year is to re-nationalize all essential utilities. Otherwise we are just in for more of the same every year. All government and power companies care about is profit, more, more, more.
    Empty words by the condems and labour as usual.:mad:
  • MillicentBystanderMillicentBystander Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lukieboy96 wrote: »
    EDF increasing costs in January, just in time for the cold spell. They send out a letter saying it is due their 'increasing costs!!' What a joke! It is because it is winter, they never increase in the summer do they. Also, I wonder how much interest they get from the people in credit!! Rip off

Yes, and their apparently comparatively small rise comes with a little publicised caveat - it assumes the moving of some of the green levies away from utility bills in the Autumn Statement so if by some slim chance it doesn't happen they will need to up their prices AGAIN. And even if it DOES come their prices will remain the same whilst most of the others will be effectively reducing their prices to reflect the amount of green levy taken off the bill. Blatant showboating from EDF but what else would we expect?
  • lukieboy96 wrote: »
    EDF increasing costs in January, just in time for the cold spell. They send out a letter saying it is due their 'increasing costs!!' What a joke! It is because it is winter, they never increase in the summer do they. Also, I wonder how much interest they get from the people in credit!! Rip off
    Uhm, as opposed to the other suppliers who increased their prices months earlier. Yup, EDF need to be singled out for perpetrating that obscenity.
  • I was just saying about EDF, as that is who I am with!! I know others have increased, I am not stupid!
  • lukieboy96 wrote: »

The interest argument baffles me.

With the 12 month DD cycle, the consumer owes the energy company as often as vice versa. However, the consumer is getting 6% off their bill, you'll be lucky to get 1% in a bank.

If we want to avoid the situation where people are holding each others money why not whack everyone on a PPM. Consumption would plummet I'd imagine....
  • edited 29 November 2013 at 4:03PM
    Pemberton01Pemberton01 Forumite
    268 Posts
    edited 29 November 2013 at 4:03PM
    So if Cameron gets a freeze until mid 2015 on Energy prices and then we elect a Labour Government in the May 2015 General Election, with their promise of a 20 months price freeze, that works out at no energy price hikes until the start of 2017............mmm?
  • benwarwick123benwarwick123 Forumite
    101 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    So if Cameron gets a freeze until mid 2015 on Energy prices and then we elect a Labour Government in the May 2015 General Election, with their promise of a 20 months price freeze, that works out at no energy price hikes until the start of 2017............mmm?
    Edf and Npower already have fixed price tariffs till 2017 so in theory it might be accomplishable:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide