Shop direct say they've already paid me

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
3 replies 624 views
mr_jmamr_jma Forumite
65 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
I've complained to the FSO about missold shopping insurance from shop direct. They have been dealing with my complaint for over a year now! I've had an email from the ombudsman saying that shop direct has already made an offer last year and have paid me. I haven't received anything at all, not even a letter from them. I feel like they're trying to cheat their way out of paying, surely they'll have to prove this payment was made!? I'm worried now.

Replies

• -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have to prove nothing.

What you can do is contact them, and establish wheter they have your current address as the address to send your cheque to.

I had a successful complaint against them, and it was sent to an address I used to live at. Luckily, I know the owners now, and they gave me my post.

Thsi is depsite corresponding with them reciprocally, at the address I live at now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    -taff wrote: »
    They have to prove nothing.
    Sending the offer to the wrong address does not entitle them to claim that the redress offered has actually been paid, of course.

I find it amazing that the OP went to FOS (and waited a year) without actually contacting the Bank and asking why there had been no apparent reply to his complaint and establishing whether they had his correct address.

If the Bank continue to claim the redress has been paid, then they should be able to supply details of when and how payment was made. It's possible the cheque has been cashed fraudulently.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a misunderstanding.
    The trouble is, when people complain, a portion of them believe they are in some big battle with a facelss corp, they forget they're dealing with people, just like us, who make mistakes.

Either get in touch with Shop Direct and ask them what address they have for you and explain the situation, or tell the FOS you haven't received payment, you think they may have sent it ot the wrong address, or if you still live at the same address, send them a later stating you haven't received any monies, and haven't cashed the cheque, and ask them to investigate what's happened to it, has it been cashed or not etc....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals