IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC Parking Charge

hi all, i recently got a 'Parking Charge' for leaving my car in an unmarked bay outside my friends flat.

there are 3 sets of bays seperated with small bushes, the middle one with 2 spaces had a sign up saying 'Visitors Parking' attached to the building directly infront of it. the bays on the left had numbers painted under the parking spaces, so i presumed theses were a flat residents permitted bays so i didnt park there.
however the bays on the right had no sign up (as the building finished at the middle bay) and there were no numbers painted underneath so i presumed this was a continuation of the visitors parking.

low and behold i got a ticket for parking in the furthest right parking space.

now ive read countless posts where people say 'ignore everything' but these people never seem to post up evidence they have actually done this.

my other question is i have also read people saying recently that laws have changed and so ignoring may not be the cleverest idea.

firstly i have not made any contact so far (as i have read once you do this establishes you as the driver)

im happy to give the 'ignore' approach a go, but i want to make sure im not doing something stupid since the laws have changed

has anyone actually got experience with this since the laws have changed?

Comments

• Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    I got a parking ticket by this lot in October 2012, I didn't pay it, heard nothing until March 2013, then the usual letters came (check out on the motor thread), last letter was May this year, not heard anything since..

Hope that helps...
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    depends on your location, as the laws changed 12 months ago for england and wales (read the red banner at the top of the forum)

so for E+W its best to deal with it , not ignore it , so forget what happened in 2012 unless its in scotland etc

making contact may only tell them who is the keeper, not the driver, unless you admit to being the driver

clearly more info is required before you can be offered advice on this
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ctg23 wrote: »
    hi all, i recently got a 'Parking Charge' for leaving my car in an unmarked bay outside my friends flat.

there are 3 sets of bays seperated with small bushes, the middle one with 2 spaces had a sign up saying 'Visitors Parking' attached to the building directly infront of it. the bays on the left had numbers painted under the parking spaces, so i presumed theses were a flat residents permitted bays so i didnt park there.
    however the bays on the right had no sign up (as the building finished at the middle bay) and there were no numbers painted underneath so i presumed this was a continuation of the visitors parking.

low and behold i got a ticket for parking in the furthest right parking space.

now ive read countless posts where people say 'ignore everything' but these people never seem to post up evidence they have actually done this.

my other question is i have also read people saying recently that laws have changed and so ignoring may not be the cleverest idea.

firstly i have not made any contact so far (as i have read once you do this establishes you as the driver)

im happy to give the 'ignore' approach a go, but i want to make sure im not doing something stupid since the laws have changed

has anyone actually got experience with this since the laws have changed?

Please read the NEWBIES thread near the top then come back with any questions. :)

Has anyone got any experience since the law changed over a year ago? THOUSANDS of people on here of course; read the stickies!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure