"Pending Payment" - Is Seller Trying to Back Out / Change Price?

Options
Yesterday I won, for a very good price an item. I paid immediately and received confirmation of my order plus it showed up as "You have paid for this item". Today I go back in and notice 2 things:

1) Item is now "Pending Payment"
2) The postage fees have change to a much higher price on the Summary" page but when you click into details are still at the lower price they were when I bid yesterday.

I contacted ebay who told me to contact the seller and ask the seller to contact them. Thank you ebay you are so very helpful! My instinct is the seller doesn't want to part with the item at such a good price and therefore is trying to stop the payment or even increase the price after the auction has finished!! Any thought on what I should do?

Comments

• Flyonthewall
    Options
    I might be wrong, but I'm sure a seller cannot stop a payment. Payments can be held sometimes. Are they a new seller? With new sellers they hold the payment until the item is sent.

Have you contacted the seller to see if there is a problem or asked them to contact paypal/ebay?

Ebays reply may not seem helpful but if the problem is on the sellers end it's up to them to contact ebay. There may not be a problem, could be a new seller, or the seller may not realise anything is wrong, which is why you should contact the seller. Ebay haven't got time to go chasing up people who may or may not have problems.

You shouldn't assume the seller doesn't want to sell, just contact them as ebay suggested and see what they say.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has the payment always shown as 'pending' ? If so, that means they have typed the wrong email address and the payment is in limbo.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 77ajs
    77ajs Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. The ebayer has over 100 feedbacks. Also the payment showed at "You have paid for this item" yesterday and I got an email confirmation. Plus I looked in paypal and the payment is showing as "completed". I was also thought the change to the "postage" costs seemed odd. I guess I will contact the seller as I don't think there is anything else I can do at this point.
  • Flyonthewall
    Options
    It could just be a glitch with the postage amount. Recently there were listings showing up as free postage that weren't. If you're worried then ask them about it as well, but if you've paid then I wouldn't worry. If it's wrong they'll probably contact ebay and if it does affect you the seller should let you know.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The seller has accidentally put the wrong email address, you need to cancel the payment before they can do anything else
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure