IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Debt plus recovery letters

Got a parking charge notice for exceeding maximum stay time in a private parking. Ignored it and now got a letter from debt recovery plus. Should I ignore it, or contact them? Please advise.
I have gone through others posts in this forum, however it's all very confusing. :(

Gia.
:A at work!

Replies

• RedxRedx Forumite
    37.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on the region, which you did not state in your post

ie:- england or wales ? or somewhere else ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Guys_DadGuys_Dad Forumite
    11K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is so much on Debt Recovery Plus on here already that repeating what has gone before is a waste of time. If what is already posted is too complicated, why should anything new be any simpler?

Not meaning to be cruel, just saying if you search for Debt Recovery Plus, and only look at threads in the last 3 months, you should get all you need. Anything unanswered or specific, come back.
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giarora wrote: »
    I have gone through others posts in this forum, however it's all very confusing. :(

There is nothing at all confusing about the DRP scam!

Read any recent thread on the subject to see exactly what to expect.
  • Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not confusing at all, although it would help if you provided a little more information other than private parking.

Did you/have you received any letters from a private parking company before the DR+ letters?

What is the full name of the private parking company this includes anything such as LTD etc after their main trading name.

type of car park ( free/pay and display/other)

Car park location - attached to a supermarket/single premisies such as a pub/service area, stand alone car park, car park on a large retail estate

Car park geographical location, England, Scotland, Wales, northern Ireland?

Reason for getting a ticket/charge in the first place - overstay - how long? parking out of a bay? parking in the wrong bay? and so on.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Hi All

I am new to the forum but have read a lot of posts giving advice on what to do with PCNs. I'd appreciate some advice on our specific case if anyone can help?

We Parked at Pyle St Carpark, Newport, Isle of Wight to attend a baptism, which ran over and the result was that we were 40mins over the 1.5hr free parking. I accept that we overstayed the limit.

However, we went to pay for the additional time (should have been £1), it was not clear where the machine was (turned out to be in a Co-op supermarket outside of the carpark itself, took 15 minutes to find it!),after entering the registration number, the machine tells you (apparently based on when you entered the carpark) how much to pay. The machine said £00.00 to pay. We were confused by this but took it for its word (being a Sunday we thought that maybe it was actually free on that day). So we got in the car and left.

After this we checked with some friends who had also been at the batism. parked there at the same time, had left at the same time (actually they had got there about 20mins before u so they were there longer) and had been faced with the same £00.00 to pay on the machine.

When we got home (at 11:00 that night), my wife had got a text from another couple who had been at the carpark (so that's 3 sets of us who had had the same issue) that they had phoned up the carparking payment line and had been told they needed to pay. So to be on the safe side we thought we'd better phone up too. First thing in the morning on the Monday we called the "phoneandpay" line for the carpark and told them about the situation. They advised to pay the £1 and that everything should be fine.

Bank Statement came in payment taken £1, from PhoneandPay, St Albans. Excellent done and dusted.

Oh no, here come the letters:

1) PCN (Blue) from Civil Enforcement Ltd £90 or £45 if paid within 14days - IGNORED on the advise of this forum

2) Parking Contravention Enforcement Notice Reminder (PEENR) Final Reminder before legal action, again from Civil Enforcement Ltd. Amount £90 - IGNORED

3) New Letter ( 5 months after the parking date) - "Demand for payment of an unpaid parking charge £140", with 14 days to pay. This time from Debt Recovery Plus - IGNORED but starting to get a little worried. Read that these Parking enforcement companies sell on thier debt to these debt collection agencies.

4) Just had a new letter from Debt Recovery Plus - "Notice of intended Court Action - unpaid parking charge £140". So now I'm getting pretty worried.

So I guess the question is.....IF I ignore this one and the case does go to court (I know its unlikely based on what everyone says over and over again on here), what are my chances based on the facts given above? I can prove:

1) That I made a £1 payment on the 24th (the day after the parking), I have a bank statement to that effect plus a receipt from "phoneandpay"

2) I have credible witnesses who also had the same issue with the payment machne, paid their £1 either on the day or the day after, yet have not had any fines

Has anyone got any advice? Or is it simply.....IGNORE.

Thanks
  • Not exactly the same but I am getting these letters - see my thread Excel ignored PCN where these great guys have given some help!
  • edited 29 November 2013 at 4:14PM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    37.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2013 at 4:14PM
    PeteMat wrote: »
    Hi All

I am new to the forum but have read a lot of posts giving advice on what to do with PCNs. I'd appreciate some advice on our specific case if anyone can help?

We Parked at Pyle St Carpark, Newport, Isle of Wight to attend a baptism, which ran over and the result was that we were 40mins over the 1.5hr free parking. I accept that we overstayed the limit.

However, we went to pay for the additional time (should have been £1), it was not clear where the machine was (turned out to be in a Co-op supermarket outside of the carpark itself, took 15 minutes to find it!),after entering the registration number, the machine tells you (apparently based on when you entered the carpark) how much to pay. The machine said £00.00 to pay. We were confused by this but took it for its word (being a Sunday we thought that maybe it was actually free on that day). So we got in the car and left.

After this we checked with some friends who had also been at the batism. parked there at the same time, had left at the same time (actually they had got there about 20mins before u so they were there longer) and had been faced with the same £00.00 to pay on the machine.

When we got home (at 11:00 that night), my wife had got a text from another couple who had been at the carpark (so that's 3 sets of us who had had the same issue) that they had phoned up the carparking payment line and had been told they needed to pay. So to be on the safe side we thought we'd better phone up too. First thing in the morning on the Monday we called the "phoneandpay" line for the carpark and told them about the situation. They advised to pay the £1 and that everything should be fine.

Bank Statement came in payment taken £1, from PhoneandPay, St Albans. Excellent done and dusted.

Oh no, here come the letters:

1) PCN (Blue) from Civil Enforcement Ltd £90 or £45 if paid within 14days - IGNORED on the advise of this forum

2) Parking Contravention Enforcement Notice Reminder (PEENR) Final Reminder before legal action, again from Civil Enforcement Ltd. Amount £90 - IGNORED

3) New Letter ( 5 months after the parking date) - "Demand for payment of an unpaid parking charge £140", with 14 days to pay. This time from Debt Recovery Plus - IGNORED but starting to get a little worried. Read that these Parking enforcement companies sell on thier debt to these debt collection agencies.

4) Just had a new letter from Debt Recovery Plus - "Notice of intended Court Action - unpaid parking charge £140". So now I'm getting pretty worried.

So I guess the question is.....IF I ignore this one and the case does go to court (I know its unlikely based on what everyone says over and over again on here), what are my chances based on the facts given above? I can prove:

1) That I made a £1 payment on the 24th (the day after the parking), I have a bank statement to that effect plus a receipt from "phoneandpay"

2) I have credible witnesses who also had the same issue with the payment machne, paid their £1 either on the day or the day after, yet have not had any fines

Has anyone got any advice? Or is it simply.....IGNORE.

Thanks

I realise you are new here so excuse the bluntness

its disrespectful to "jump in" on somebody elses thread because it creates confusion for the person who opened it (the OP - kreativ)

the correct method is use the BLUE new thread button top left of the forum (this is also detailed in the newbies thread by coupon-mad)

if this happened in the last 12 months for E+W (so I assume the IOW too) then it is not the correct advice to have "ignored" anything and certainly not this forum

I suggest you copy and paste your post into a new thread that you "own" so that you get your advice , leaving kreativ to receive the correct advice for their issues

I would also add some sort of timeline to your post , like date of the PCN , date of NTK etc too

thank you
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • @half_way - this is an England car park. The car park is managed by TPS and it's a collective car park for some retail shops. It's supposed to be free for 2 hours, but I overstayed by 20 minutes or so.

I ignored the letters at first but now getting letters from DRP. I tried contacting one of the retail shops but they told me they can't help me in this situation by waving off the charges because the car park is owned by TPS.

When I first got letters,all the posts in this form advised to ignore. and now the new updates says that I should not ignore. Hence the reason for confusion.

I am now wondering if the DRP threats have any weightage, if they do, I would rather pay and get out of the mess.
    Could I first contact car park owners (TPS) and try to negotiate?

Gia.
    :A at work!
  • bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DRP threats of court action have NO BASIS IN REALITY. They have NO AUTHORITY to take court action in respect of a parking charge.
  • edited 30 November 2013 at 8:06PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    101.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2013 at 8:06PM
    When I first got letters,all the posts in this form advised to ignore. and now the new updates says that I should not ignore. Hence the reason for confusion.

So you got the PCN before Easter 2013 then? That's when most people on here stopped advising to ignore (have to say I was advising appeals to POPLA as far back as a year ago when POPLA first started, as it HAD to be tested...! :p ).

You say 'new updates' but the POFA 2012 was over a year ago.

I am now wondering if the DRP threats have any weightage, if they do, I would rather pay and get out of the mess. Could I first contact car park owners (TPS) and try to negotiate?

What?! The shop workers haven't a CLUE. TPS don't own any car parks; they also have no weight, just like DRP and Zenith letters!!!! :rotfl:

Do you now realise people have ignored these letters for YEARS? The only difference now is that people should take their chance to appeal as it costs PPC scumbags money. And the option to appeal is more urgent when a PPC is litigious. TPS are not litigious so this is not a ''mess''. Jeez you are only getting junk mail people have always ignored and laughed at!

Clearly this junk mail is bothering you more than it should, which is what I just said to LoveNorfolk on his/her two page thread fretting about nowt:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4833470&page=2

In your case you could always complain to the BPA because TPS Notice to Keeper letters aren't compliant with the POFA 2012 and so there is no keeper liability and they and their debt collectors are harassing you. This will be investigate and you could get it cancelled as long as you do not mention who was driving and word the complaint as the KEEPER. Hope you never named not implied who was driving?

If you'd read a few other TPS threads just by searching the forum for 'TPS' you'd have found the flaws already discussed - and the 'NEWBIES READ THIS FIRST!' thread tells you how to complain about such things and gives the BPA email address.

Not sure how that advice is confusing? Although the 'NEWBIES' thread is new, the advice is nothing new for 2013...we were just drowning under new queries that's all.

Can I just show all 4 of you who are going round in circles about poxy DRP junk mail, each other's threads so you can compare notes by pm instead?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4818413

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4833470

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4834502

I for one, can't keep commenting on these identical 4 threads as this is ONLY about junk mail and there are people with new PCNs who need to help to appeal. We get this same type of thread every week and it's already covered on the sticky threads what your options are now.

Please post any questions if something really new happens (not just the next letter in the chain) but going round in circles on 4 threads is not getting anywhere.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News