What do barclaycard ask when contacted about ppi mis-selling?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
10 replies 915 views
tkbluetkblue Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
I have had a barclaycard since about 2002, and am reluctant to contact them to reclaim the ppi I've been paying because I can't remember how I acquired the card (whether they called me, I filled in a form etc...) Is it easier and safer going through a ppi claim site if I'm not sure? I want to do this sooner rather than later, but have stalled because of worrying I may say the wrong thing and not be able to claim.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it easier and safer going through a ppi claim site if I'm not sure?

No. Whether you put a stamp on the envelope containing your complaint or a claims company puts a stamp on an envelope containing your complaint, the fact remains it uses the same complaints process and the complaint is still made by you.
    because of worrying I may say the wrong thing and not be able to claim.

You are not calming. You are complaining. You put your complaint in saying what your reasons are. As simple as that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for your response, but will they probe me for how I got the card like I said, as I can't remember how I took it up, and I don't want to get stuck if they ask.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They may phone you up to clarify points or ask you questions depending on your reasons for complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    tkblue wrote: »
    will they probe me for how I got the card like I said, as I can't remember how I took it up,
    If you can't remember, what reasons do you have for complaint? It is the Bank who will tell you how you applied for the card.
  • tkblue wrote: »
    Thanks for your response, but will they probe me for how I got the card like I said, as I can't remember how I took it up, and I don't want to get stuck if they ask.

How can you complain that you were Mis-sold a product when you can't even remember taking it out?

Look at it this way are you complaining because you're genuinely unhappy and believe you've been mistreated? Or are you just looking to concoct a manufactured complaint because you've heard of other people getting money and want to try your luck?
  • I want what I'm owed, I didn't ask for ppi, I only had concerns over what tricks they might try and pull to twist it their way. Do you trust banks? I ****ing well don't.
  • meer53meer53 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Write to them with the reasons why you feel it was missold, if they agree with you, they will refund it. If they don't, they won't. It's simple really. They won't pull any tricks or twist anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    tkblue wrote: »
    I want what I'm owed, I didn't ask for ppi
    If you complain simply that you had PPI added without your knowledge or permission your complaint will doubtless fail. It's a myth sponsored by claim companies that this actually happened and without any proof of your allegation it's an easy rejection for the Bank.
    You are not "owed" anything, but you may be entitled to a refund if you make a valid complaint.
  • tkblue wrote: »
    I want what I'm owed, I didn't ask for ppi, I only had concerns over what tricks they might try and pull to twist it their way. Do you trust banks? I ****ing well don't.

Despite the nonsense you hear from CMCs, you are not "owed" anything. Whilst the radio adverts encourage you to think of it as some kind of free money the fact remains that this is garbage.. What you are doing is making a complaint and alleging misconduct. If there's nothing to substantiate the complaint it is unlikely to be upheld.

Despite the CMC nonsense banks did not just go around randomly adding PPI without people's consent. However, this appears to have become a popular urban myth. Somewhere there will be some paperwork or a call recording relating to it. If I had a pound for everyone I've seen make this claim when they have simply forgotten purchasing the cover I would be a rich person.
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The op should also realise that if the bank has any questions, they'll be contacted anyway, no matter who sends the envelope containing the complaint . . oh dear
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals