PPI after a split

Options
Hi, I am totally new to this site and find the prospect of claiming ppi pretty daunting but I can't get the idea out of my head.

I split with my ex partner over 10 years ago and we had a mortgage which I believe we must have had PPI on because he was made redundant at one point and the Building Society made the payments as my wage wasn't enough for us to live on. I know I must sound very vague but after years of non payment of Child Support and constant calls to the CSA I have finally started to get a small amount of money each month although it is not always consistent. He still owes me a considerable amount of child support.

He and I were on very bad terms and he hasn't seen our daughter for 10 years BUT I can't get the idea out of my head that perhaps we could claim back the ppi together and he may well be very interested in speaking to me if I call him about it. I believe he still lives fairly locally with a lady who has a large family so the money might be attractive. Hopefully his number is still active.

I don't particularly want to use a PPI company but I can't find anything from the Building Society about the mortgage, I am not sure when it was sold or indeed the date we obtained the mortgage, all I know is that we must have been sold PPI. I feel very confused about this and don't have anyone to ask.

Please help - I have survived 10 years without his help but in this instance maybe he can 'come good' and we can claim back jointly. I am not interested in taking his share of any monies we could claim although it would be wonderful if he paid the CSA and got them off his back :D

Thank you guys
Karen

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your chances are not good at a successful complaint about this, because you had a need for it, and you made a claim on it.
    If you were married and had a child, then you had a need of the life insurance element, it paid out when he was unemployed so you needed that part too.

You have a slight [ and I mean slight] chance of complaining successfully if you had mortgage protection, but if you can't remember....

You will both have to complain about it, and if you are successful, any moneies retunred would firt have your successful claim deducted from it.
    You will also need ot know who you paid the PPI to, because it may be a different company to your mortgage provider, and if it was sold by a broker, you have no chance at all, because they weren't regulated at the time you bought the mortgage.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Confused_Karen
    Options
    Thanks Taff
    It is disappointing but then I can deal with disappointment :)
    My memory of it all is so vague now but I hated the thought of the bank holding onto money that I(we) had a right to.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
  • societys_child
    Options
    I hated the thought of the bank holding onto money that I(we) had a right to.
    Don't feel upset about it, you had an insurance policy which paid out when you needed it, why do you feel you have a right to the money? Nothing wrong with PPI unless it was in some way mis-sold and unsuitable for your needs which doesn't appear to be the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure