Cattery charging when using prescription food

Hi,

Once a year we usually put our cats into the local cattery whilst we go away on holiday. This time around, they are on a prescription diet. Obviously we are happy to provide the prescription food ourselves, but didn't want to be paying the full rate which normally includes food.

I asked the cattery about this, and they are willing to reduce the daily combined rate for our 2 cats by 50p per day. This is between only 25p per cat per day, i.e 12.5p per cat per meal!! This surely doesn't seem a fair reflection on the food costs involved, but I didn't like to say anything.

What do you think, is this reasonable?

Thanks.

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    The price probably reflects what it costs them to feed a cat for a day.

They will buy their food in bulk from a wholesaler, so their daily charge for food would be minimum.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • If you have used the place before and are happy with them I'd still use them. As Rikki said if you buy in bulk you can get food cheaper although 12.5p does sound a bit cheap.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And part of the "real" charge will be for the time/effort to feed them. They have to do that, whatever they put in the bowl.

What's the total daily rate?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • blossomsuz
    blossomsuz Posts: 99 Forumite
    I used to manage a boarding cattery and my bosses policey was that if the cat was on prescription food you brought your own and the charge was the same. That also applied to fussy animals who wanted certain foods that we didnt carry normally.
    You are paying mostly for the service.
    Wins: Holiday to Thailand May 2014
    Mini Cruise Amsterdam and Antwerp June 2015
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    my dog kennel knocks about 50p off for each dog cos i take their own food.:p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like I am in the minority in thinking it a bit unfair :rolleyes:

In that case I won't say anything - I wasn't going to book anywhere different because both my cats don't cope well with change and they are used to their current cattery.

It costs £8 per day, but that is with them sharing. Whenever we took them to the cattery before they always ask what food they eat; for dry food, they'll eat anything really, but only wet food they would eat was Felix As Good As It Looks which is a premium brand. I can't believe they used to feed them that for 12.5p per meal though!

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, it sounds as though it isn't such a bad deal afterall ;)
  • Rikki
    Your cats happiness and welfare is the most importent thing and if you know they are happy and well looked after there, I would stick with them.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    To be honest we've never had the price lowered for our dogs and they are on prescription food.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that they cant just put a cup of the same stuff in as everyone else. They have to go find the special food, measure it out (as normally they must have certain amounts) so it is extra work for them.

To be honest Ive never thought about asking for a reduction because we dont eat their food.
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • Rikki
    kr15snw I think you'll find the OP is providing their own food.

NPFM 21
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Rikki wrote: »
    kr15snw I think you'll find the OP is providing their own food.

That's kr15snw's point isn't it? If they are using the cattery's food, the staff can just measure out 20 bowls (or however many they have), and then drop one in to each cat. If a cat is on special food it is going to take considerably longer for them to find the right bag of food (as bought by owner) measure out the presecribed amount (probably a different amount to what they measure for the standard food) and then make sure it goes to the right cat. So it is a lot more time consuming than just feeding them all the same.

As with most services you are mainly paying for people's time rather than any goods/products they use.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure