We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Parents thinking of moving back from Spain

Options
My dad is 86, my mum a little younger. They have lived away since they retired almost 30 years ago. They are thinking of selling up in Spain to move back to be near me (or we both sell up and buy a place together). Currently their apartment isn't worth as much as he had hoped.
What things do they need to bear in mind, money-wise. My dad thinks the taxes over here will be prohibitive. I think he gets around 2k a month pension plus state pension. I think my mum gets the state pension, but she doesn't have an occupational pension.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what he means by prohibitive?

He will pay 20% tax on his income (total both pensions) over the personal allowance. What's he been paying in Spain? Looks to be higher than here on a quick look

If your Mum's only income is the state pension then there's unlikely to be any tax.
  • monkeyspanner
    Options
    You might find more information on this forum.
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    Are they sure they can actually sell their place in Spain ???
    It might be worth a hell of a lot less than they think !!
    And that is if they can sell it.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think there will be any unusual problems about money. They won't be eligible for any benefits as your father's income would be too high and the flat in Spain would be counted as an asset. But I don't think they would be expecting to claim any by the sound of it anyway.

The tax thing is probaby be not too different from Spain - it will be the day to day cost of living which might be a shock.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    I don't think there will be any unusual problems about money. They won't be eligible for any benefits as your father's income would be too high and the flat in Spain would be counted as an asset. But I don't think they would be expecting to claim any by the sound of it anyway.

The tax thing is probaby be not too different from Spain - it will be the day to day cost of living which might be a shock.

Or even the heating bills
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is of course the stress of moving itself. I'd stay in spain where they should have got used to things by now.

As job are scarce over there why don’t they hire a maid to help out with things.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • zygurat789
    Options
    zaax wrote: »
    There is of course the stress of moving itself. I'd stay in spain where they should have got used to things by now.

As job are scarce over there why don’t they hire a maid to help out with things.

Nothing beats the British NHS. In Spain the relatives are expected to do all the non-medical care of patients.
  • teajug
    teajug Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    I bet to differ GP's are paid bonus to put people on LPW

Also there are numerous thread about how older people are neglected in hospitals in UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2468112/Revealed-How-GPs-paid-50-bonus-elderly-death-lists.html
  • zygurat789
    Options
    teajug wrote: »
    I bet to differ GP's are paid bonus to put people on LPW

Also there are numerous thread about how older people are neglected in hospitals in UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2468112/Revealed-How-GPs-paid-50-bonus-elderly-death-lists.html

I think the website you have linked to says it all.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dad will pay tax the same as the rest of us. No more, no less.

I wonder how many pensioners who live here would be quite happy paying tax if they were getting over 3K a month between them.

Probably all of them....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport