We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Football Pitch

Options
Hi I'm a manager of a local football team, we play on Saturday mornings. In the last few years we have had numerous games called off due to bad weather. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for 'rain' boggying the pitch into a mud bath - how best to stop this happening?

Also if theres frost on the pitch any ideas how best to thaw the pitch out?

Comments

• Itismehonest
    Options
    The Institute of Groundsmanship would probably be the best people to ask.
    http://www.iogturfcare.com/
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    I think it may also be outside of the ability of a local football club to be able to resolve this issue.

That is, it needs cover or proper drainage, neither of which come cheap, hence the comments.;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    The things you can do you probably do already.

No warming up on the pitch, particularly in the goalmouths (just back from playing 'keeper myself). If you play at the local rec, or otherwise public area take the goalposts down so that the kids don't use them. In a spirit of compromise some 5-a-side posts away from the main pitch might help this and could be used for training as well. Deep forking with a long tined fork will help the worst bits, particularly if a clay pan has built up, and helping standing water drain away will help the root system.

Keeping the grass longer will help the frost situation, particularly in any shaded areas. If the sun comes out cheap black ground cover will help thaw the worse spots, but it's certainly not a whole pitch solution! Do it in the goalmouth to keep us keepers happy.;-)

It's hard job running a grassroots side so good luck. Just as difficult for us women's sides where we still encounter a little residual prejudice, but it's much better than 20 years ago.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    The things you can do you probably do already.

No warming up on the pitch, particularly in the goalmouths (just back from playing 'keeper myself). If you play at the local rec, or otherwise public area take the goalposts down so that the kids don't use them. In a spirit of compromise some 5-a-side posts away from the main pitch might help this and could be used for training as well. Deep forking with a long tined fork will help the worst bits, particularly if a clay pan has built up, and helping standing water drain away will help the root system.

Keeping the grass longer will help the frost situation, particularly in any shaded areas. If the sun comes out cheap black ground cover will help thaw the worse spots, but it's certainly not a whole pitch solution! Do it in the goalmouth to keep us keepers happy.;-)

It's hard job running a grassroots side so good luck. Just as difficult for us women's sides where we still encounter a little residual prejudice, but it's much better than 20 years ago.

Nicely introduced prejudice comments, :T:T, well done

keep this gardening or a new post in some social forum. Yes???????
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport