We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Electrical bulbs
beedeedee
Posts: 991 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
I need to buy some more bulbs for my lights. The original ones are GY4 10w 12v capsule lamps. They seem hard to find - I'm seeing G4's on offer - are they the same?
0
Comments
-
What does the lamp look like?
A GY4 lamp is normally a spotlight bulb and not a capsule bulb.
This is a G4
and this is a GY4
0 -
Looking here: they seem to be different
http://www.bltdirect.com/lampBaseExamples.php
However a quick google of the words "GY4 bulbs" seems to bring up quite a few for same0 -
Thanks for trying to help. They are deffo the capsule type - the box reads GY4 with a picture of a capsule lamp............
I can only find GY4's if I order 100......not very MSE!0 -
I can't actually see a difference between a GY4 and a G4 lamp, the international standard ref number is the same other than the A suffix, IEC 60061-1(7004-72) = G4 IEC 60061-1 (7004-72A) = GY4. Both have the same size pins and both have the same spacing for the pins and both seem to be compatible with 6 or 12v power supplies.
Double check with an electrical parts retailer or a local hardware shop but unless the 'A' relates to insulation or some form of fire protection (or lack of), you may be able to use G4 bulbs.Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p0 -
Thanks DCodd - I'll take your advice and find an electrical parts retailer, before I start ordering any......0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards