Moving house, does phone line always get disconnected?

Options
I rang Talk Talk to tell them we didn't want to take our telephone service to our new house and that we would like to cancel our contract on the day we move.

Talk Talk have said that if we cancel the contract the new owners of our house will have to pay £200 to have a new line connected and that I should contact the new owner and ask if he wants to take over my contract.

Having never moved house before I don't know if this is standard practice or whether I should just cancel my contract and not worry about the new owner.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cashback earned
Quidco : £858 :)
Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like Talk Talk are trying to get you to sign up another customer for them, a new customer couldn't takeover your 'contract' anyway, they would get a new contract in their name, not yours.
    If the new people want to use TT let them call TT, if they want to use someone else, let them call whoever they want to use, they may not want a landline at all...regardless, it's not your problem, all you need to do is tell TT the date you want the service terminated and your final bill on that date.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Yes, sounds like outrageous BS to me - trying to get you to pressure the incoming occupants to sign up with TT.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure