MSE News: Keep your Pin to yourself: Watch out for 'courier scam'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
12 replies 3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
"Action Fraud had 721 reports of courier scams across the UK between January and June this year..."
Read the full story:

Keep your Pin to yourself: Watch out for 'courier scam'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• collywollyscollywollys Forumite
    484 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I can't believe this works.

A fool and their money though eh !!
  • innovateinnovate
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love them to call me. I would cooperate 100%, thank them profusely for being so caring, and would have the police waiting for them when they come to collect my card. I really hope one of these low lives will call.
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    innovate wrote: »
    I'd love them to call me. I would cooperate 100%, thank them profusely for being so caring, and would have the police waiting for them when they come to collect my card. I really hope one of these low lives will call.

Depressingly, although probably unluckily for you, these sorts of c**ts I mean fraudsters tend to prey on the elderly, who are more likely to believe that the nice man on the end of the phone really is from the bank.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the criminals themselves would pick up the cards - they'd send a courier/taxi/some kid they've bunged a tenner to...
  • innovateinnovate
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Depressingly, although probably unluckily for you, these sorts of c**ts I mean fraudsters tend to prey on the elderly, who are more likely to believe that the nice man on the end of the phone really is from the bank.
    I am elderly. My avatar does perhaps misrepresent me a bit, sorry.

zagfles wrote: »
    I doubt the criminals themselves would pick up the cards - they'd send a courier/taxi/some kid they've bunged a tenner to...
    Sure - but even if they engaged an unsuspecting courier of sorts, the courier needs to deliver some physical goods to somewhere. An honest courier will have no problems with cooperating with the police.
  • MABLEMABLE Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it the most intelligent of people fall for these scams. All the warnings and these dopes still fall for this con. In my opinion if they are so stupid to give their pin and card to a stranger then any loss incurred should be down to them and not expect the bank to refund them.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am elderly. My avatar does perhaps misrepresent me a bit, sorry.

Sure - but even if they engaged an unsuspecting courier of sorts, the courier needs to deliver some physical goods to somewhere. An honest courier will have no problems with cooperating with the police.
    They would have to put a few levels of indirection in and check all stages so I doubt it'd be straightforwards to catch them. They could hardly give the courier their actual address...so maybe a hotel where they pretend to be a businessman...who needs a package delivering - send the courier - maybe follow them (police car at address - abort!) - watch the hotel reception when it gets delivered, maybe get another innocent dupe to pick it up and move it somewhere else...

Worth a try though - the police may have a procedure for this sort of thing...
  • innovateinnovate
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zagfles wrote: »

Worth a try though - the police may have a procedure for this sort of thing...
    The police would almost certainly love to get a reliable scent for these criminals. One of the easiest crimes to bust, methinks, if only the police can get in right at the start of the scam.
  • geri1965_2geri1965_2 Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My parents would definitely fall for this. My dad is already on the sucker list.

I despair of them sometimes. I just wish they would check with me before doing ANYTHING.
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever someone sends me a phishing email to a bank site I "log in" with fake information using my virtual machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals