Free Hot drink and cake every month @ John Lewis

Options

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    es5595 wrote: »
    Those who have received hot drink and cake vouchers, have you spent money in store in the last sixth months and/or scanned your card in store?

I don't know if it helps things or confuses things more, but in the past 6 months, I've used my JL card to spend in excess of £1000 (either my spending or a parent who had no card and so I used mine because they didn't want to apply for a card and we just thought why not).
    I didn't get any vouchers for coffee, just random free desert/20% off a meal...etc vouchers. I've not eaten out at a restaurant at JL ever and for reasons too long to detail wont be either.

I am really not sure if there is a rhyme or reason for this that relates to our spending. I think they probably have a set amount of cash to spare and this equates to a set amount of vouchers to share amongst JL customers.

I'd imagine we are all put into groups either by sirname, area or even time at which we joined and one or a few groups per season are sent vouchers depending on whichever groups are selected at the exclusion of other groups.
    How do I think the groups are selected? Who knows; maybe a lottery/chance thing, maybe there is some sort of rotation going on, maybe it's whoever is in that day randomly sends out vouchers to those until they run out and the rest are send higher-expected spend vouchers...

I really think that it relates more to their own needs and purse strings than it does to anything the customer does. It is weird and at times unfair but trying to work it out will just drive you mad.
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that it's most likely done by surname, I'm alphabetically towards the end and I always seem to be in the last batch which can be several weeks after the new arrivals get posted on here.

All you that posted a few weeks ago to say you've received them are probably going to throw my logic out of the window now and tell me that you're towards the end alphabetically too :rotfl:
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Options
    Africat wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that it's most likely done by surname, I'm alphabetically towards the end and I always seem to be in the last batch which can be several weeks after the new arrivals get posted on here.

All you that posted a few weeks ago to say you've received them are probably going to throw my logic out of the window now and tell me that you're towards the end alphabetically too :rotfl:

My surname begins with C and I got mine a couple of weeks ago
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also received a couple of weeks ago - surname begins with N.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Africat wrote: »

Well my wife uses her Russian name and it came first a few days ago it starts with K mine came today and it starts with C so guess this blows the theory out of the water!

Mine, as hers was, load of pointless vouchers so definitely saving me money as I won't need to take the wife to JH too spend any money.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a sirname beginning with W. Maybe they work by sirname but it wouldn't be in alphabetical order if they are doing this.
  • wacko15
    Options
    My surname starts W but a friend who is K got exactly the same vouchers at the same time. I spent on my card at Christmas, but she didn't. Really dont understand how it all works, hardly seems worth it now, nowhere near as good as it was.

No cake vouchers either. Just a £5 gift card with a £50 spend and 50% off a cook well box. These are my offers valid until 31st May!
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe it is all completely random but funny how some ok me people seem to do quite well out of it and others get nothing.
    Same with the bags at Christmas and Easter Eggs & other random stuff they've given away over the last few years.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wacko15 wrote: »
    My surname starts W but a friend who is K got exactly the same vouchers at the same time. I spent on my card at Christmas, but she didn't. Really dont understand how it all works, hardly seems worth it now, nowhere near as good as it was.

No cake vouchers either. Just a £5 gift card with a £50 spend and 50% off a cook well box. These are my offers valid until 31st May!

I got the same - no free coffee and cake vouchers at all. Are they cutting back on that?

Still I have got a £50v JL voucher for referring a friend to Vitality health - so I can use that instead.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    I got the same - no free coffee and cake vouchers at all. Are they cutting back on that?

Still I have got a £50v JL voucher for referring a friend to Vitality health - so I can use that instead.

There's no apparent logic to this.

Four of us have these cards and get the drink/cake vouchers. One of us spends at John Lewis - the other 3 don't.

It used to be the case that the spending one got the vouchers, and not the other three - now, though, all 4 get the vouchers and all 4 this time got the £5 off £50 offer.

Why we get them when others don't I have no idea - though I suspect, as others have pointed out, it has a lot to do with the way your account is set up online as regards receiving communications.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure