Matched Tyres or Not?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
28 replies 2.2K views
sdavies13sdavies13 Forumite
101 Posts
Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Hi all, question for you...

Had a puncture the other week, what looks like a partially flattened staple went through my rear Gatorskin Ultra and ended up walking home as couldn't repair/replace the inner.

But in the lead up to this I had had a few scary moments with my rear slipping on wet manhole covers and the like.

I've bought some Schwabe Marathon Plus tyres but so far have only replaced the rear. Should I run the same tyres front and back or am I ok to run the Marathon Plus on the rear and continue with the Gatorskin Ultra on the front?

It was a 'mare to remove/refit the Gatorskin, though strangely the Marathon Plus seemed far easier to fit and remove...

Cheers.

Replies

• esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't see it causing any problems. I read on a cycling forum a while back that people sometimes use different front/rear tyres on mountain bikes - a thin one at the front to slice through mud and a thicker one at the back to maintain traction (since most of your weight is on the rear tyre) was the approach taken by some people... I've no idea whether it makes much difference or what the "pros" would say the best combination is...
  • Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can certainly mix and match tyres, just keep an eye out for differences in handling, but generally the best one should be on the front.

A front blow out is more dangerous than a back one, although the rear tyres wear faster. A lot of people put a new one on the front and move the front one to the rear.
  • WesterWester Forumite
    257 Posts
    I use a Schalbe City Jet 12 rear tyre and a Continental Travel Contact front tyre and they work fine together
  • AvoriazAvoriaz
    39.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might there be a problem with different levels of grip front and rear when cornering?

I suppose that would only really matter if you were pushing speeds around corners to the limit which I certainly never do. I value my skin and bones too much for that.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoriaz wrote: »
    Might there be a problem with different levels of grip front and rear when cornering?

I suppose that would only really matter if you were pushing speeds around corners to the limit which I certainly never do. I value my skin and bones too much for that.

rear end slide isnt as bad as a front end wash out

@sdavies13 You will get slides from slicks on wet manhole covers etc
    dont power over them. free wheel or keep a steady cadence
  • AvoriazAvoriaz
    39.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    custardy wrote: »
    rear end slide isnt as bad as a front end wash out..
    I hope never to find that out for myself again. :eek:

I still carry the scar on my knee from a crash when I was cycling to school at aged about 12. That taught me not to try revising French homework while cycling. :rotfl:

I've only recently got back into cycling at aged 61 for the first time since my teens apart from a day or two on hired bikes on holidays.
    38K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoriaz wrote: »
    I hope never to find that out for myself again. :eek:

I still carry the scar on my knee from a crash when I was cycling to school at aged about 12. That taught me not to try revising French homework while cycling. :rotfl:

I've only recently got back into cycling at aged 61 for the first time since my teens apart from a day or two on hired bikes on holidays.

I recently had a very lucky escape
    front end washed out on a drain and the rim scraped over the cover
    very lucky to stay upright
  • sdavies13sdavies13 Forumite
    101 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the advice all.

Did my usual 28 mile commute on mixed tyres today and so far so good.

Had two slight slides on the rear in the wet. One whilst changing gears and the other when I hit the ridge of a wet manhole cover but no where near as scary as previous incidents. So apart from the ride being a bit harder on the Marathon Plus tyre (compared to the Gatorskin Ultra) so far so good!

Though have been wondering if I should swap the SPD pedals for the standard ones if the weather gets any worse...
  • By the sounds of it, worth making an effort to avoid all road ironwork wherever possible?
    38K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    armyknife wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, worth making an effort to avoid all road ironwork wherever possible?

thats great
    so how do you do that and not get knocked over by traffic?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals