Another fake comp?

Options
Facebook again, Westlothian Bargain Appliances. They had a comp to win a 60" TV and surprise surprise the winner lives locally. They've now said that anyone could enter but you had to live in their area to win!!!
Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous

Comments

• LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You had to live in their area to win?! They should have put that on the comp post then!

Idiots.
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • independance
    Options
    Just unliked. :mad::mad::mad:
  • sheils6
    sheils6 Posts: 15,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thought this looked suspicious when I entered. Have unliked too.
    Mar Wins :- £2 GfK Media

Best Win of 2019 - Forest Holiday :)
  • custardcream1000
    Options
    How strange to say people from any geography can enter but only people from a certain locality can win, and not promote this beforehand. It's like inviting everyone to a party, then when everyone is at the door only letting brunettes in!

I would be really surpised if this didn't break some kind of promotional or advertising law?

I can't find the site - Was it in their terms and conditions Barnaby?
    £630/ £2014

• Barnabysue
    Barnabysue Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    Options
    They've deleted a lot of the comments that people were making, apparently the person named as winner only joined Facebook the day that the comp started. Also deleted the comment about only locals could win.

It's here

https://www.facebook.com/westlothiansBargainAppliances?fref=ts
    Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I never bother with local pages if they don't have a website which shows nationwide delivery is available, chances of an out of area winner being picked is slim.
  • grinnerlynn
    Options
    before they started deleting they said it was a UK wide comp, just happened to be someone down the road that won. she joined facebook same day as they did also her profile picture i found on a russian criminlas website. i have reported the facebook page hopefully enough do to get them closed down
    :A
  • Rossco_Clarko
    Options
    Looked really odd to me so didn't bother to enter- just reported as a scam/spam page though.
  • custardcream1000
    custardcream1000 Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2013 at 11:57PM
    Options
    Thanks for the link Sue.

It does look quite suspicious x

Just to add - someone has said the winner didn't share the comp even though it stipulated you needed to; interested to see the response from the company!
    £630/ £2014

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the link Sue.

It does look quite suspicious x

Just to add - someone has said the winner didn't share the comp even though it stipulated you needed to; interested to see the response from the company!

Depending on the persons settings the share does not have to be visible to everyone (unless they said it must be a public share)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure